UGH! Day 25, Momma scared off nest...

lizzard14

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 1, 2011
Okay so we are on day 25 and my momma guinea got scared off her nest by a skunk. I have no idea how long she was off, a few of the eggs were still warm but the 2 that were fertile were not. Do any of you guys that have experience with this sort of thing think the eggs or babies are still okay? After I found her in the other room of the barn, I shined the flash light and she ran back to her nest and got on it and hasn't left all day. Man...this just stinks! It's just amazing that out of 21 eggs only 2 are fertile, LOL. I couldn't candle any because I didnt want to scare her off the nest so I took the opportunity while she was off it last night to check, I left all the eggs like they were even though only 2 were good. I just hope the babies didnt die in the egg. I can't believe the stupid skunk got in! The one place I didn't bury chicken wire. I have went all around that barn stall (where we lock the guineas up at night) and buried chicken wire to keep the skunks from getting in. I mean WOW! I'm just so mad right now. So, I have been out today burying more chicken wire and reinforcing where i can. I'm sure he will be back tonight. It's just sickening when you try and try to keep all your babies safe and something like this happens. Especially since she has been on there so long and been so bound and determined to hatch her some babies. I hope those 2 are still good.

I hope they are good too! At least she went back and sat on them! Good luck, and let us know what happens!

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow bummer, just 2 fertile eggs
hmm.png

Usually by day 25...eggs/keets are developed enough that they can hold their own (meaning they can generate enough of their own heat to endure a few hours of cool temps), depending on how cold tho. Since she's in a safe place (now), I'd just wait it out. If you don't see any keets by day 30 tho I'd candle them for movement, and decide what to do from there. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom