UK Bird Flu - All poultry must be housed indoors by 14th December

Pics

Cazook

Songster
Nov 24, 2019
Here is the latest: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-national-prevention-zone-declared

A joint statement from Great Britain’s three Chief Veterinary Officers said:

"We have taken swift action to limit the spread of the disease and are now planning to introduce a legal requirement for all poultry and captive bird keepers to keep their birds housed or otherwise separate from wild birds.

Whether you keep just a few birds or thousands, from 14 December onwards you will be legally required to keep your birds indoors, or take appropriate steps to keep them separate from wild birds. We have not taken this decision lightly, but it is the best way to protect your birds from this highly infectious disease."

Yeah I'm wondering if they need to be completely indoors or if a netted run is enough. Doesn't seem to have any specifics that I can find.

I'm in Ireland... do you think it is coming here?!

I have a suitable cage luckily.
It has already been found in wild birds in the next county.... but I love them and I'm panicking.... their cage is just 6' by 10' and there are 8 of them...!

IMO it means enclosed so they can't mingle with wild birds. The roof should be solid so poop can't fall through.
I assume this is the intent, but you'll have to see how its legally written to see what you can vs cant get away with. Obviously absolutely no contact is great if you can achieve it, but the law may legally give more leeway than that, which would, at the least, help you comply in the time span.

Back
Top Bottom