UK Bird Flu - All poultry must be housed indoors by 14th December

I'm in Ireland... do you think it is coming here?!

I have a suitable cage luckily.
It has already been found in wild birds in the next county.... but I love them and I'm panicking.... their cage is just 6' by 10' and there are 8 of them...!
Worried about the same thing. Think we're okay at the moment, but it doesn't harm to get some pens sorted. Got 15 birds myself which usually free range. Not sure if I'll be able to fit all mine in happily.

I'm so stressed about this, though trying not to catastrophise! There's so much standing water around in our garden, too. I'd be devastated if they got it and we could have prevented it 😟

Ours have an enclosed run, but it's really not big enough to stay in 24/7 for Chook Quarantine - especially not with two roos, even if they were raised together. Normally they free range in the garden all day. We're running in circles getting the materials together to put up a run extension before Human Pre-Christmas Quarantine kicks in for the household. It's gonna be a really major undertaking too because of where the coop/run is located. Luckily OH is a carpenter by trade!

Yeah, my understanding of the gov.uk website is that netting (bird netting) a run will be ok, but personally I would make a solid roof if you haven't got one already. Clear tarp/ greenhouse material would be an inexpensive idea. I got a large 4m x 5m clear tarp from Toolstation when I built my run, it was less than £20.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-national-prevention-zone-declared

The solid roof on my run came in very handy yesterday with the sudden heavy snow we got in Cambridgeshire :)

I'm so stressed about this, though trying not to catastrophise! There's so much standing water around in our garden, too. I'd be devastated if they got it and we could have prevented it 😟

Ours have an enclosed run, but it's really not big enough to stay in 24/7 for Chook Quarantine - especially not with two roos, even if they were raised together. Normally they free range in the garden all day. We're running in circles getting the materials together to put up a run extension before Human Pre-Christmas Quarantine kicks in for the household. It's gonna be a really major undertaking too because of where the coop/run is located. Luckily OH is a carpenter by trade!

Same here. I'm not sure what to do with the ducks and their pond, whether it counts as 'standing water' or what. They might have to deal with just a filled basin for awhile...

Same here. I'm not sure what to do with the ducks and their pond, whether it counts as 'standing water' or what. They might have to deal with just a filled basin for awhile...

If wild birds can get to it then yes, my understanding is that it does. It’ll want netting I think :\

I’m wondering if the water we use to fill our ducks paddling pool will be a risk - the water butt fills from run-off from the roof?
Thinking we might have to enclose the whole garden. Nightmare, we’re only just out of isolation from my son picking up covid from school, now the ducks need to be quarantined!

Worried as well, the pen the coop is inside is pretty safe but ‘locking up’ 7 feisty large red hens for 24/7 when they are used to part free ranging? Aarrggh!
Is it the wild bird poop that’s dangerous to my girls? What’s minimum sq ft per hen when confined? With a pond and greenhouse I’m not sure iI can keep my girls for their own mental health( my girls are very opinionated and vocal when displeased, a neighbour said two of them howled for three hours when I’d locked them in the pen for a quick hospital visit! ) Covid 19 has meant I’ve been home and gardening so they’ve had loads of free range time for more than 6 months
Any advice pleeeese!!!

Worried as well, the pen the coop is inside is pretty safe but ‘locking up’ 7 feisty large red hens for 24/7 when they are used to part free ranging? Aarrggh!
Is it the wild bird poop that’s dangerous to my girls? What’s minimum sq ft per hen when confined? With a pond and greenhouse I’m not sure iI can keep my girls for their own mental health( my girls are very opinionated and vocal when displeased, a neighbour said two of them howled for three hours when I’d locked them in the pen for a quick hospital visit! ) Covid 19 has meant I’ve been home and gardening so they’ve had loads of free range time for more than 6 months
Any advice pleeeese!!!

I've settled on getting some timber posts, chicken wire and tarps to extend an enclosed run. Still kinda worried about them since I have 3 roos (which is usually fine if they scuffle since there is plenty of room to run and hide). 4x6m for 15 birds sounds small but I guess they're going to have to cope -.- No clue how long this order will be in place though?

Back
Top Bottom