UK Bird Flu - All poultry must be housed indoors by 14th December

Yes. There are feral packs in places. Hawaii is great example. I live in FL, have most of my life. Commercial chickens don't thrive here, most breeds completely unsuited to our summers and our predators, and are quickly eliminated. What survives as a feral pack does not thrive, though a few birds eke by. If you bought them from a breeder, you would almost certainly complain of the sub par quality of weight gain and frequency of lay.
Partly true.
Feral chickens are in general of a slimer build than the usual American back yard favourites.
Yes, what little research has been done reports a gradual decrease in egg production. One hopes this is the chicken readjusting from the high production breeding programs.
There are feral chickens in great numbers in many places in the world; just not in the USA perhaps.

I do understand the situation. I'm just saying it is not right to keep a hen in a 'cage'.
I, and many others, do not consider something as large as 6' x 8' a 'cage'.
Not sure how you define a 'cage'.

And why does it matter to you where I live?
Wondered if you live in the UK, and might not understand why flocks need to be confined with mesh small enough to not allow exposure to wild birds carrying AI.

I do understand the situation. I'm just saying it is not right to keep a hen in a 'cage'. And why does it matter to you where I live?

Asking where people live is a common question here on lots of topics as environment, climate and local predators can influence an answer - they aren't asking for your home address :)

Anyway, I live in the UK and outbreaks of avian flu here and in Western Europe are an annual occurrence, at least there are cases every year though I don't think there is always a lockdown. It wasn't the reason I built my coop this way, but I am pleased in hindsight that I put a solid roof on my coop and run and used ½" wire - it is something I would advise people here to take into account.

My rescue hens were caged (battery) for the first 12-18 months of their lives and they came to me without feathers, some unable to stand and looking red and sore, over the past year they have flourished in their new home which is mostly confined (18 x 8 - originally 10 hens now sadly down to 7). I'm sure they are happy to be where they are, though I have no idea what their memories are like and if they would remember their previous life. However these girls would not survive if they were left to roam unsupervised - in the summer they get trapped in my long daisies and I have to pick them out.

Personally I'd recommend anyone in the UK keeps their birds in - it's not forever, but if you don't and one bird is identified with avian flu then you will lose your entire flock.

I, and many others, do not consider something as large as 6' x 8' a 'cage'.
Not sure how you define a 'cage'.

Wondered if you live in the UK, and might not understand why flocks need to be confined with mesh small enough to not allow exposure to wild birds carrying AI.
Well I don't get why someone is saying it is a cage when it's 6x8?

I don't understand the requirement for such a small mesh size, given that the smallest bird identified here with AI is a curlew, then rook, a couple of gulls, and the rest waterfowl - a few ducks, more geese and swans. Typical garden birds are nowhere on the lists of confirmed cases. Edited to add and a few birds of prey.

Well I don't get why someone is saying it is a cage when it's 6x8?
Not everyone uses the same terminology, why it's important to absorb all the info given, like the size. ;)

I don't understand the requirement for such a small mesh size, given that the smallest bird identified here with AI is a curlew, then rook, a couple of gulls, and the rest waterfowl - a few ducks, more geese and swans. Typical garden birds are nowhere on the lists of confirmed cases. Edited to add and a few birds of prey.
I don't know either <shrugs> probably an abundance of caution.

Back
Top Bottom