UK Member Please Say HI

This is where I got them from.
https://www.bark-uk.co.uk/
I suppose you could use them on slabs. I think they could shift around a bit. I put straw on my slabs and now chicken chippings will adorn the mud pit we have now!

Thanks for link. If I did put some down I would have to box the bottom of my runs in to stop them coming out :hmm It’s mainly my run with the new girls in that has become extremely messy. They are poop machines! They are so not clean and tidy like the polish. I’m scraping the poop out most days and just when it starts to dry up, it rains again :( Might try a bigger tarp and some guttering to catch the water rather than it running in to the run. Just not sure what to do right now but it’s driving me batty... :barnie

Thanks for link. If I did put some down I would have to box the bottom of my runs in to stop them coming out :hmm It’s mainly my run with the new girls in that has become extremely messy. They are poop machines! They are so not clean and tidy like the polish. I’m scraping the poop out most days and just when it starts to dry up, it rains again :( Might try a bigger tarp and some guttering to catch the water rather than it running in to the run. Just not sure what to do right now but it’s driving me batty... :barnie
Well I also pray for drier weather! I'm sure it works a little. Then the rain devil returns! The run with my rescues in is on the lower side of my garden so when it rains in heads toward their run
Luckily it seems to stop just before it goes in. I think this year has been wetter. I can't remember this much mess last year.

Yes its just Joffrey who is the resident rooster along with the new hens. What I did with two of the cockerels a poultry breeder/smallholder who sells hens took them as he said that he can give them with the hens the customers buy as a home for them. I bought a bale of straw off him for £6 quid and I put that on the bottom of my run, it keeps their feet dry, but there are a lot of damp places. Its certainly has been such a wet winter.

Just a pic of the new gang lol

Attachments

• DSC_1118.JPG
    DSC_1118.JPG
    908.2 KB · Views: 3
Yes its just Joffrey who is the resident rooster along with the new hens. What I did with two of the cockerels a poultry breeder/smallholder who sells hens took them as he said that he can give them with the hens the customers buy as a home for them. I bought a bale of straw off him for £6 quid and I put that on the bottom of my run, it keeps their feet dry, but there are a lot of damp places. Its certainly has been such a wet winter.
I went to melton mowbray poultry market before Christmas. There was loads of cockerels going for nothing. I nearly bought a blue Brahma cockeral for 2 quid then I thought that it may cause a problem with the neighbours so I didn't. At the end two people were putting loads of birds, hens and cockerals into crates turned out they were going for slaughter. I could have cried. I couldn't stop thinking of the cockeral. I went to see if I could buy it from them but they had gone. I felt so bad for days after. I don't think I will go to a auction again.
6 quid for a bale of straw seems expensive. Do you know any farms or stables you could get it from? 3-4 pound max.

I went to melton mowbray poultry market before Christmas. There was loads of cockerels going for nothing. I nearly bought a blue Brahma cockeral for 2 quid then I thought that it may cause a problem with the neighbours so I didn't. At the end two people were putting loads of birds, hens and cockerals into crates turned out they were going for slaughter. I could have cried. I couldn't stop thinking of the cockeral. I went to see if I could buy it from them but they had gone. I felt so bad for days after. I don't think I will go to a auction again.
6 quid for a bale of straw seems expensive. Do you know any farms or stables you could get it from? 3-4 pound max.

Oh its awful to think of how many cockerels around that need rehoming its so sad and such a struggle. I am not sure how much straw is supposed to cost, but It was a lot of straw so I guess its cheaper than in a shop, at least it will last quite a while. He took my cockerels to to rehome them so I didnt mind buying straw from him.

Well I also pray for drier weather! I'm sure it works a little. Then the rain devil returns! The run with my rescues in is on the lower side of my garden so when it rains in heads toward their run
Luckily it seems to stop just before it goes in. I think this year has been wetter. I can't remember this much mess last year.

Yep I’m so looking forward to spring! Hope it’s not to wet of a one :fl

Wow £6 for straw! :th It’s £1.30 here for a small bale like this one.
6A93169A-6F9A-46B4-92AE-F37C6AF6845E.jpeg

If there is a shortage in the area though that pushes the prices up :(

Just a pic of the new gang lol

They look great :D

Hi
As this is the UK thread I’ll post on here first.
I have a trio of Silkies, one rooster and two hens, all hatched in my kitchen last year (28.06.17) and one of the girls has gone broody.
I am a total newbie and don’t want any more chicks at the moment so am I doing the right thing just lifting her out of the nest box and putting her back in the garden with the others? They free range and this is the first time I’m experiencing this.

Back
Top Bottom