UK pigeon owners

Pics
I'm not sure if I should make one of those feeder thingies to put some mashed pellets in for him. I know he'll l still have been being fed by mama and pops. He does swallow the peas but I'm not to keen on trying to hold his mouth open too long to feed him. He does wriggle about and make it difficult. He has has his beak in the normal seed though. We've called him 'humf'!

@biophiliac May have some feeding advice for this one. If he is eating seeds, I assume he may need grit along with it.:idunno BUT I"M NOT SURE.
Does he drink on his own well???
I haven't seen him drink. I did dip his beak in the water but he hasn't gone near it since. I'm sure he will be thirsty and hungry in the morning so I can try again. I saw a video feeding one about this age with a bag just with peas in it so I will try that.

I'm not sure if I should make one of those feeder thingies to put some mashed pellets in for him. I know he'll l still have been being fed by mama and pops. He does swallow the peas but I'm not to keen on trying to hold his mouth open too long to feed him. He does wriggle about and make it difficult. He has has his beak in the normal seed though. We've called him 'humf'!

View attachment 1552398
I'm thinking about 4 weeks old. I've just given it some thawed peas. Not the easiest thing to do! It's only had five but I didn't want to stress it out. It has beautiful colours.

@biophiliac May have some feeding advice for this one. If he is eating seeds, I assume he may need grit along with it.:idunno BUT I"M NOT SURE.
Does he drink on his own well???

What a pretty bird! Does his have quite a bit of white?

I think you are about right on his age. I don't think at this point you need to bother with the bottle feeding. If he is interested in seeds I would mix some grit in with the seeds. I do that with my youngsters when they are still in the nest box so they are bound to consume some grit along with the seeds. I dipped their beaks in the water if they didnt drink already and usually only took one time for them to get it. He looks like he could eat on his own very soon if not now.

He might not have been very hungry yet when you fed him, as @caveman said he might still have had food in his crop.

If he is hungry it should be pretty easy to feed the peas... usually after forcing down the first five or six the little guy would understand and start shaking his wings at me for more. I put them on my lap, holding down with my left hand at the back of his neck. reaching my fingers to open the beak and pop the peas in with my right hand. Let him close mouth and swallow each time. May be a little harder with a feral.

I haven't seen him drink. I did dip his beak in the water but he hasn't gone near it since. I'm sure he will be thirsty and hungry in the morning so I can try again. I saw a video feeding one about this age with a bag just with peas in it so I will try that.
To me the bag seems more trouble than its worth but do what you are most comfortable with.:)

Then there was 15!:oops: A youngster has fallen from the nest at the stables and landed in one of the stalls. My DW has it in a box in her car. I'll post some pics when she gets home! Lucky has been out with boomer and three others tonight. They had a really good fly, lovely to watch them play! And they all came back! Apart from boomer who wanted to do another lap of the shire! Then seemed to 'forget' how to get back in. Sunflower seeds work everytime!!!
Oh dear... poor thing! :(
Pigeon math.. it truly exists..:lau
You seem to have a nack for attracting the lost! :clap
View attachment 1552398
I'm thinking about 4 weeks old. I've just given it some thawed peas. Not the easiest thing to do! It's only had five but I didn't want to stress it out. It has beautiful colours.
Wow.. what a cutie! :love
Im so glad y'all got him there. He's in good hands! :hugs

I do seem to be a mug for waifs and strays! He seems fine. I haven't given him any peas yet. I tried before I went to work and he wasn't that happy about it so I left him. He has been spotted scratching in the seed but I haven't seen him go near the water yet. His crop still feels full so he must be eating something. He does seem to spend alot if time sleeping though. It's a big change from where he was to where he is now. He isn't to bad to handle. I have been offered a pair of black and white pigeons but I just don't have anymore space. @Fields Mountain Farm you'll have to let me know when you start your loft and we can build together! At this rate I'm gonna end up with a pigeon rescue!

Back
Top Bottom