Uncle Mike's Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

bigmike&nan

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Scenic Jackson New Jersey
I've been using buttermilk a lot in place of water or milk in some of my old standards (my pizza dough, my naan recipe, my sweet potato rolls). I got a quart of buttermilk to make buttermilk pancakes from scratch, and realized how amazing they would be with a pint of blueberries throw in. DO try these...

2 cups flour
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
4 Tbls white sugar
1 Tsp salt

2 cups whole buttermilk
2 eggs
4 Tbls melted butter (or bacon grease)

1 pint fresh blueberries

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk and melted butter in a separate container, then fold the liquid mixture into the dry mixture. Add the blueberries. DO NOT OVERMIX, just get things combined some, if you overmix the dough and resulting pancakes will be tough. Get a heavy skillet very hot, when a small drop of water skips across the skillet you know it's time. Add about a 4 oz ladle of batter to one side of the pan, and another on the other side, do not crowd. Watch for the telltale bubbles popping to know you are ready to flip the pancakes. Cook until the first side browns some, flip and finish cook. Repeat until all batter is used up. Makes about 14 amazing pancakes. Serve with bacon and syrup, or do what my wife does, a small dollop of Greek Yoghurt on each.
Enjoy

photo-12.jpg

These really are fabulous pancakes - the trick is to not overmix the batter !!! Repeat do not overmix.

The plates are wonderful. I spent some birthday money when I turned 60 and found a starter set for sale on eBay, the pattern is called Liberty Blue - back during the Bi-Centennial Celebration grocery stores had these as a promotion: buy X amount of groceries and get the plate (or whatever item was The Special of the Week) for really cheap. In the center of the pieces are scenes from the American Revolution. Really a very pleasing pattern isn't it. And the old Wm Rodgers April pattern flatware goes nicely with the flowers on the plates.

After posting this I went out on eBay to look and found a woman (and her sister) who were given sets their Grandmother bought back when these were for sale, they are raising money to send her daughter to Europe - two sets of 12 totally unused condition are $500.00 each... Check out the ad, if for anything to see the lovely patterns and the scenes in the different pieces. Some of which are truly amazing. Check her "other items" to see the 2nd set... Actually this is a very good deal as unused ones are pretty hard to find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Staffordshire-L...ltDomain_0&hash=item3a60f1c832#ht_2019wt_1141

Last edited:
That is a beautiful set, isnt it? Looks like blueberry pancakes are on the menu for this week!

Can you add that recipe (and that picture!) to our new recipe section, so I can find it when I need it?

Last edited:
I always do. During the summer I pick my own outside my back door. I try and freeze some for winter pancakes, but I dont often have any left.

Quote:
Thanks!! Do i have to defrost them? or is it better to cook them in frozen?

Back
Top Bottom