Under my quail pens where the poop lands are hatching some type of meal worm looking things, anyone know what they are?

desstheblessed

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2022
They are in the poop under the quail cage that is suspended up higher. They’re like an inch long, not reddish yellow like meal worms but more of a brown/black tint. A couple large flies that are a little wasp shaped kind of guard them. They have white heads black mid sections and white bottoms. Anyone know what they are? Are they a danger to people or the quail, could they be a good food source for chickens?
02FFDCDB-7561-416F-A563-204BBF3BD320.jpeg

Last edited:
They look like soldier fly larvae. We had these under the hay bedding in our large brooder box. They aren’t dangerous at all, and the chickens love them. They are also good to have in the compost heap!
There’s thousands, I was just worried because I’ve never seen them before in my chicken poop. And I’ve only had the quail for like a month now and with so many it kind of freaked me out lol

I imagine it did throw you for a loop! The first time I found them, I was grossed out. Did some research in my books and online, though, and they really are harmless. You might see if the quail will eat some. Our chickens think they’re a treat!

I second the Black Soldier Fly ID. Good bugs! The larvae are sold as treats for poultry and they're voracious, so they shred through compost in a hurry. The adults don't actually have the ability to eat and don't tend to become house pests like other flies. Plus, they're very pretty insects. Here's one I found in my garden a few days back:
20220625_103049.jpg

Definitely black soldier fly larvae. They're really good for the soil and refresh it's turning it into usable compost pretty quickly. You can build BSF farms in your yard and give the larvae to your birds!

I had a spot where feed had fell and fermented/soured, and the BSF came in and turned the soil and refreshed it. Really good little clean up crew.

I agree with the above comments… black soldier fly larvae! 🙌🏽 The parents resemble a small wasp in flight, but they are harmless.
The larvae are incredibly useful on the homestead, best composters of waste especially poo, meat, dairy, etc and things we can’t usually put in a garden compost. They even consumed competing fly maggots which help control barn/house fly populations.
The quail find them especially delicious! High in protein and calcium, BSFL make for an excellent supplemental snack. They are actually farmed, dried, and sold at a premium price as chicken treats.
Great find and nothing to worry about at all.

I found this out a couple of days ago.

I was trying to compost my quail poop in a bucket, and just the other day, discovered them in there.

I did put some in an empty sour cream container and will use them as fish bait in the coming days.

20220709_183146.jpg

Back
Top Bottom