Underweight B.B. turkeys

EngeFamilyFarms

Chirping
Aug 29, 2018
Michigan
hi there, we are raising 9 B.B. turkeys for the first time. They are 16 weeks old and I weighed my smallest hen and my largest Tom. The hen came in at 13lbs and the Tom at 23lbs. I read online somewhere that the hens should be at 21lbs and the toms at 32.5lbs. Does this sound right to you? If so I seem to be way off schedule! Any suggestions on how to get them bigger in the last month or so before butcher? TIA!

hi there, we are raising 9 B.B. turkeys for the first time. They are 16 weeks old and I weighed my smallest hen and my largest Tom. The hen came in at 13lbs and the Tom at 23lbs. I read online somewhere that the hens should be at 21lbs and the toms at 32.5lbs. Does this sound right to you? If so I seem to be way off schedule! Any suggestions on how to get them bigger in the last month or so before butcher? TIA!

How and what are you feeding them? Unusual poops?

Maybe try giving them supplemental protein? Or see if you can find the chart you saw before, hopefully it shows the expected weights at the different ages so you can see if they are expected to gain more weight in the last few weeks?

You probably was looking at a chart like this one
http://www.formulaofchampions.com/pages/turkey/weight-guidelines/
upload_2018-9-25_19-17-21.png

I think they will be too big by thanksgiving anyway

Back
Top Bottom