Unexplained blindness in year old cockerel

HannahRobyn3

Hatching
May 24, 2015
Hello! A couple of weeks ago we noticed that our easter egger boy had one of his eyes sealed shut and goopy, but there wasn't any blood or apparent trauma. It's opened up now, although he still squints it frequently. It has gone completely grey and it appears that he can still see out of it but just barely. I'm hopeful that it was just an injury and he'll be fine now, but I'm terrified that it could be a symptom of Marek's or some other disease. He does seem to have become a little more distant from the flock since this happened. Have any of you ever seen anything like this before? Thank you so much for any information at all. I feel so bad for the poor little guy, he's a sweety. I have included photos of his good eye (right eye) and his bad eye (left eye).

Seems more like an irritation reaction to an injury rather than Mareks induced blindness. Do you have any ophthalmic ointment or drops that you could treat the eye with?

I don't, but I can get some! Do you think normal farm supply places would have them? Or would the vet be better? Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom