Unhappy hen, bad roo

dhining

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 27, 2013
I have 4 seven month old Americaunas--3 pullets ( Goode, Bette, and Bess) and roo, Leroy Brown, along with 8 others of various breeds, including a Marans rooster, Mr. Darcy, who is a real gentleman. They all have been very happy, except for the last week. Leroy Brown is picking on Bess--treating her really badly: pecking at her, blustering when she is around, dominating her whenever he can. She has taken to staying in the coop all day long, while all the others are out freeranging and having the time of their lives. Whenever I go in there, she is wandering around on the floor, or most of the time, up on the roost. She still lays her egg every day, and she looks healthy, if a tad on the small side. At night, Leroy Brown roosts right beside her, sometimes with a wing over her. She looks cowed and unhappy.

Now that Bess has taken herself out of the picture, Leroy Brown is starting to intimidate Bette regularly. Otherwise, he is not a terribly aggressive guy. What is going on and what should I do about Bess being so reclusive and getting Leroy Brown to behave himself?

Thanks for all your insights.
Deborah

If he were mine, 'Leroy Brown' would have to find a new home. Hen aggressive roosters are a pain, and in some instances the aggression can escalate to killing. - not in my flock. You might try separating him from the flock for a considerable period of time to see if he outgrows this bullying behavior.

Thanks for your help. I have been told that roosters in general are jerks, so it's nice to know not all of them are and that behavior may be modified. I will separate him and see what Mr. Darcy does when he becomes the honcho.

Back
Top Bottom