Unknown duck behavior

NukiTruk

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2022
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to keeping ducks, just over a year, and notice 'weird' behavior in our 1 year old hen.
Hope to find some answers or ideas here of what this could be.
I'll try to give as much info possible, if needed more I'll be glad to provide it.

Firstly she stopped laying eggs 4 days ago. She's normally very regular, started laying at about 4 months and done so almost daily until now. Sometimes there was a 'day off' but that was it.
Secondly she is making this purring like noises at times when breathing. I do not notice any mucus or such coming from her nostrils.
She also prefer to be more time alone and sits more time than usual under bushes.
Normally she is always with her 'partner' and the other hens, eating waggling, chilling.

Eating and drinking seems to be normal and at first sight I can't see any physical issues. Walking, running and swimming also looks normal.

Currently we have 5 hens and 4 drakes, 3 drakes we always keep separate. From time to time we mix one in just to do his thing but they are never all together with the hens.
So the one that has the odd behavior is together with 4 other hens and 1 drake.
During the day they run free in the garden and during the night we keep them locked inside.

I'm not sure if this behavior and the fact she is not laying for almost a week are linked? Maybe the breathing and separation causes she is not laying or vica versa.

Is it possible eggs get stuck inside or what can disrupt the cycle?
Is it possible she has a cold? How to identify it? If so what can be done?

Anyone recognize this behavior? Is it something to pay attention to, be concerned?

Thanks in advance for taking your time.

If needed more info just ask, I'm sure I missed a lot :)

Nuki

What breed is your duck? Have you looked to see if she might have a hidden nest outside? Not laying doesn't necessarily mean she is egg-bound it could just mean she is taking a break and then she can build back up her calcium reserves before starting again.
If you can put a video up here so we can see and hear her that might help us help you better. If you do a video you'll need to upload it to youtube or another similar platform then copy and paste it here.

What breed is your duck? Have you looked to see if she might have a hidden nest outside? Not laying doesn't necessarily mean she is egg-bound it could just mean she is taking a break and then she can build back up her calcium reserves before starting again.
If you can put a video up here so we can see and hear her that might help us help you better. If you do a video you'll need to upload it to youtube or another similar platform then copy and paste it here.
He Miss Lydia,

Thanks for the reply.

Obvious I forgot that :) she's a Khaki.
I just uploaded 2 videos.
In the first you can't really hear too much because of the other ducks making noises.
In the second video I held her down just so you could hear the sound, she started breathing much heavier when I held her down though. It now sounds to me she's got some issues here.
Apart from the breathing she is acting normally imo.

@Yardmom

She has never laid outside of her coop. She has 2 spots outside where she usually rests but here are no signs of nest making, like some of the others do at times.

Thanks again!

Nuki

Here are the video, hope this helps.

Hello, thanks for the very descriptive info and the videos. As Yardmom asked, is it possible she's starting to moult? This is the time for it, and most ducks will stop laying at this time.

As for her sound, I'm not sure, but was she a very loud and insistent quacker before? I ask that because my own duck has sort of lost her voice too, after a few months of yelling at everything! She brooded and hatched out some eggs, and would scream at the top of her lungs any time anyone approached, whether it was duck or human or chicken. Now, she sounds like an old lady that has chain smoked for her whole life!

Hello, thanks for the very descriptive info and the videos. As Yardmom asked, is it possible she's starting to moult? This is the time for it, and most ducks will stop laying at this time.

As for her sound, I'm not sure, but was she a very loud and insistent quacker before? I ask that because my own duck has sort of lost her voice too, after a few months of yelling at everything! She brooded and hatched out some eggs, and would scream at the top of her lungs any time anyone approached, whether it was duck or human or chicken. Now, she sounds like an old lady that has chain smoked for her whole life!
Hey!
Thanks for replying. By moult you mean changing feathers? Sry I'm still fairly new to it.
How can you tell? I noticed the drakes have new feathers recently, no differences on the hens though.

She is normally a happy quaker but nothing too crazy.

I've been reading about egg bound and some symptoms are alike. She's also moving her back al lot while breathing, by back I mean the part where the tail is and abdomen.
Looks like she wants to 'push' something out.
Could also be completely something else, just speculation from what I observe.

From what I've read you can try to soak her in warm water and massage her a bit. Also do a physical exam to see if there is an egg stuck.
Can you feel something at the outer parts or do you need to feel inside?

Any recommendations to help her if she is egg bound?

Nuki

I wish they could talk to us! So difficult to tell what is wrong sometimes, if anything is.

I have fortunately never had to deal with egg binding in my ducks, so I really only know the basics of what I've read here. First thing would be to palpate her abdomen and vent area and see if you can feel a mass there. And give her some Calcium Citrate.

When my Figgy was egg blind, it was rather extreme. She was panting excessively and seemed panicked. She would sit, stand up, walk a few feet, then sit again. And she couldn't poop because the egg was blocking her plumbing. Can your girl poop? That will tell you for sure.

(My internet is verrrry slow this morning, so I can't watch your videos, unfortunately. I'll try again later.)

When my Figgy was egg blind, it was rather extreme. She was panting excessively and seemed panicked. She would sit, stand up, walk a few feet, then sit again. And she couldn't poop because the egg was blocking her plumbing. Can your girl poop? That will tell you for sure.

(My internet is verrrry slow this morning, so I can't watch your videos, unfortunately. I'll try again later.)
Hey,

Yes she can poop, no problems here. Just put her in a bathtub and as you might now the moment you put them there it's go time :)
So no issues. Consistency also normal.

Do not see any panicking on her side.

I'm also not feeling anything 'stuck' underneath, I just did an exam and everything seems to be normal as far as I understand.

In case of respiratory disease, what are other symptoms than panting, heavy breathing? do they develop a temperature and can you measure it?
Is an antibiotic treatment recommended?

We do not have access nearby to an avian vet nor does our normal vet know anything about ducks.

I'll be keeping an eye on her closely and update if something changes.

Nuki

I wish they could talk to us! So difficult to tell what is wrong sometimes, if anything is.

I have fortunately never had to deal with egg binding in my ducks, so I really only know the basics of what I've read here. First thing would be to palpate her abdomen and vent area and see if you can feel a mass there. And give her some Calcium Citrate.
I think she is Molting. Canadian has a point, checking for egg bind is a good idea and giving some calcium. Not much on the calcium though, the molting is a resting period they need. I mean if you were passing babies nearly every day for 9 months wouldn't you need a break? Ha Ha! When you start back up after the rest I would take oystershell and grind it up into a powder and just add it to their feed. Not much maybe a tablespoon per bowl. As far as grinding the shell I like using the stone polishing drums with steel ball bearings. works well and makes it easier to add a powder form for the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom