unpasteurized cow's milk. or raw cows milk where can I get it?

The only cow that I'm allowed to own where I live is a stuffed animal cow!

Suzy

hit.gif
th.gif
roll.png
hmm.png
sad.png

I read an interesting study about raw milk vs. pasteurised milk and e-coli. The bacteria was introduced into a gallon of each. After a week the e-coli levels were tested, it had increased in the pasteurised milk and was completely gone in the raw milk. The natural enzymes usually killed by the pasteurisation process had killed the e-coli.

We drink raw milk every day from our goats. I was a little hesitant before we got them, as i'd believed a lot of the scare-mongering about the dangers of raw milk. Now I know different. Obviously if you buy from someone unscrupulous you'll run into problems, but then look at the tainted milk problem in China. I know my goats are healthy, we have them tested regularly to be sure. I know they eat well, and therefore know they must be producing a nutritious product. Not to mention it's delicious!

I was raised on this stuff. Our neighbors came over almost every day to buy some from us . I still remember my grandpa pouring the milk for them straight out the tank. Our family was the first one to have a electric miliking system in our little town. My grandpa bought it after getting five numbers in the lottery in the 50's. Now i cant even find any fresh milk anymore,not even goat.

Everyone in my house drinks raw milk. Before we found a farm to
buy from, I couldn't drink milk at all. It made me sick everytime.
But now that we buy raw cow's milk, I can have my chocolate
milk again. Woohoo! I'm a chocoholic.
The taste is unbelievable, and it lasts much longer than store bought
milk.
We usually go about every 2-3 weeks and buy 10 gallons at a time.

Quote:
dont believe everything you read..cows are not given antibiotics for no reason, the milk is tested everytime it is picked up and if it doesnt pass guess who doesnt get paid..larger dairies I think are much cleaner and safer then small farmers,larger dairies never have cows standing in mud,the buildings are usually pressure or steam washed down every day,and many now have the cows milk themselves,computer done with a laser off a leg tag the cow goes in to be milked when she wants to..

Do you live on a dairy farm? Unless you've been watching a scientific show on the Discovery channel, that is quite uncommon as far as I'm aware. Both my parents lived on a dairy farm, and we current have a small goat dairy. The reason you don't see cows standing outside a barn at many of those places is often because they are not even let outside, they stand in the stantion until they are no longer lactating. As for the high tech gadgets and such, most dairy farmers no not have enough money to even consider purchasing that type of equipment.

Nope.I dont watch much TV at all..any info I give on this forum is from first hand experience..I owned and managed a dairy that I grew up on for about 15 years..the large farms around here,the cows are not "outside" so to speak,but they are in a sheltered area that is a roof,open sides that have curtains to put up or down according to weather conditions,and they are on a concrete floor covered in about several inches of sand,they are never tied in stantions,they are free to move around,eat sleep,wherever and whenever they want..the only time they are in a stantion is during milking,and that is only for a few minutes..now most small farms around here,they are in tied stantions,some dont let them out for days if its crappy out,some do,most dont get outside at all in the winter..now I am not saying thats good or bad,if they are kept clean its not a problem..just saying your odds of a cleaner inviroment,that I have witnessed,is a larger producer (I am talking 500-1500 head and on up) as for the cost of the high tech gadgets,no,small farmers cannot afford it,but the large dairys can and are putting them in,like I said around here,I dont know where you live so I have no idea how things are done there..

Well if thats how cows are being treated in Montevideo, thats great, and it sounds like they are treated very well, but I live not too far away and I haven't seen anything like that. All the dairy farms I've been to aren't bothered to let the cows out during the day because it is too much work for them. (but they are 40-100 head, not sure how many workers the big ones have)
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom