Unrefrigerated eggs: is there an official resource on this topic?

SJensen

Songster
14 Years
Jul 29, 2009
South Surrey
Hello,
I have a blog about my suburban chicken experience (http://jensenschickens.blogspot.com/). A couple of my readers have expressed concern that I don't wash or refrigerate my fresh chicken eggs. I've read quite a few of the posts on this forum and decided not to remove the bloom, but does anyone know of a resource from a higher authority on this topic? Egg safety standards on the USDA website are geared towards commercially processed eggs.
Thanks.

I don't usually wash my eggs either, unless they have a mound of poo on them. I do refrigerate though. Mostly out of habit. I think they recommend washing eggs before eating, but I don't bother. There isn't a high likelihood of small flocks having things like pathogenic salmonella. As far as a resource goes? Maybe feathersite.com or Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. Not sure.

This is one of those round and round sort of topics. Everyone will have a different opinion and that's ok. I do what my family has always done and we have a large family, most living long and healthy lives. Also, having spent time in Europe where they don't have eggs in the refrigerated section, I know we aren't the only ones.

All the official sources will say keep them below 45 degrees Fahrenheit as far as I know. For everyone who is freaked out by not washing or refrigerating, you'll have as many or more who will freak out if you DO wash them.

I keep mine in a cool part of the basement, but people who buy my eggs know how I treat them, and washing them is a big no-no with my customers too. Clean nest boxes, dirt wiped off as I gather them, though there is rarely any to be honest... and cool though not refrigerated storage. I do suggest that people wash them before they crack them to use 'em.

This article was good. Anyone else know of any other well-respected resources on the topic of washing/refrigerating eggs? I'd like to post a couple links on my blog for my non-chicken-community friends and family.

Back
Top Bottom