Unsure if Lice or Mites

slukeplass22

Songster
9 Years
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Piedmont, USA
Hi y'all. I currently have a lice/mite infestation but I'm having a really hard time deciphering what critters I actually have. It is winter here.

Two weeks ago, I discovered some small brown to black things crawling on my chickens' vent areas (they had just arrived since I check their vents often). At first, I thought they were mites, but a few days later I found adult lice bodies & the little guys I saw earlier under the thing they sleep on. The adult bodies were segmented, brown and straw colored. So then I thought they had lice. I promptly killed the lice I discovered. A week or so later I found a smaller collection of these bugs under there which I hadn't seen before. The hens' condition ebbed and flowed - some hens' infestations improved, others got worse. As time went on, I saw some really tiny guys, and other bigger ones. None were as big as the adult lice though.

The little guys are bigger now (though still smaller than the lice), and they are black-colored. Sometimes they are red in the last few days - I presume they are red due to blood covering them. Sometimes they eat the hens' skin away in sections, causing a super light bleed on the surface. I'm not 100% sure what the color is from. If you squish a red one, you see a red streak. No streaks with the other colors. These wounds scab and heal up.

The critters suffocate easily, and are soft-bodied. You coat the bugs in anything, and they remain motionless. Wall Sprays? Check. Cooking Oils? Check. A hen even shot a watery poop onto the windowsill, and some of the critters got hit with the poop and slammed onto the windowsill. They're dead.

I wanted to get a second opinion since I'm not 100% sure of what we have. Will post photos later. Thanks for your time in this matter.

Hi y'all. I currently have a lice/mite infestation but I'm having a really hard time deciphering what critters I actually have. It is winter here.

Two weeks ago, I discovered some small brown to black things crawling on my chickens' vent areas (they had just arrived since I check their vents often). At first, I thought they were mites, but a few days later I found adult lice bodies & the little guys I saw earlier under the thing they sleep on. The adult bodies were segmented, brown and straw colored. So then I thought they had lice. I promptly killed the lice I discovered. A week or so later I found a smaller collection of these bugs under there which I hadn't seen before. The hens' condition ebbed and flowed - some hens' infestations improved, others got worse. As time went on, I saw some really tiny guys, and other bigger ones. None were as big as the adult lice though.

The little guys are bigger now (though still smaller than the lice), and they are black-colored. Sometimes they are red in the last few days - I presume they are red due to blood covering them. Sometimes they eat the hens' skin away in sections, causing a super light bleed on the surface. I'm not 100% sure what the color is from. If you squish a red one, you see a red streak. No streaks with the other colors. These wounds scab and heal up.

The critters suffocate easily, and are soft-bodied. You coat the bugs in anything, and they remain motionless. Wall Sprays? Check. Cooking Oils? Check. A hen even shot a watery poop onto the windowsill, and some of the critters got hit with the poop and slammed onto the windowsill. They're dead.

I wanted to get a second opinion since I'm not 100% sure of what we have. Will post photos later. Thanks for your time in this matter.
It seems that you are describing a lot of different bugs. We need pictures. They aren't maggots, right?

Oil wouldn't help, you need permethrin dust/spray. @Wyorp Rock and @Eggcessive helped me with my issue which is now gone. Good luck!

It seems that you are describing a lot of different bugs. We need pictures. They aren't maggots, right?

Oil wouldn't help, you need permethrin dust/spray. @Wyorp Rock and @Eggcessive helped me with my issue which is now gone. Good luck!
Not maggots, no. When I say soft-bodied I mean that I can crush them easily - they are not like ticks.

E5FD2C0F-C39E-41B3-8D82-4DC3C0CFA351.jpeg

These are the bugs I found under where they sleep. I found these on two occasions but haven’t seen one on a hen, only under here.

34506672-F7DB-4B4A-95B5-F9DFBF0A3675.jpeg

This is one example of what the little guys that crawl on them look like. This is what they usually look like/how big they are. They are very small so I can’t get good images with my phone.

I might be able to get them under a handheld microscope but I’m not sure I could photo them there.

View attachment 2958511

This is one example of what the little guys that crawl on them look like. This is what they usually look like/how big they are. They are very small so I can’t get good images with my phone.

I might be able to get them under a handheld microscope but I’m not sure I could photo them there.
67BDCCFE-8138-4EC5-A1B6-6C7D0E95E843.jpeg

Better image of the same critter

Not maggots, no. When I say soft-bodied I mean that I can crush them easily - they are not like ticks.
Okay. For both lice and NFMs, permethrin dust works. I dusted the birds with permethrin dust and sprayed the coop with permethrin spray. Spray in all the cracks or the coop. I did this in 7 day intervals. I dusted twice and sprayed the coop once, but sprinkled dust in the coop twice. I would say to keep dusting them until you see no more mites. Dust all the way down to the bottom of the feathers and especially under their wings and vent. The permethrin spray I used (Gordons Permethrin 10 concentrate) uses a mix of 1:200 for poultry. A lot of this I learned from various BYC members and it worked really well.

Maybe one of the experts can jump in to identify the bugs, but I "think" those are mites.

View attachment 2958532
These are what the red ones look like. Their size varies a little bit, but they are same size or larger than the dark ones
@cherrynberry if I click that link, it logs me in as you. I can’t do anything, such as view your profile, or stuff like that. I can’t even click stiff, because it says “security error”. I just wanted to let you know, just In case.

Back
Top Bottom