Unusual situation with Serama hen and chicks

Tiny23

Hatching
May 29, 2017
Hi, looking for some advice.

I have one Serama hen in a small coop with two 5 week old chicks plus two Serama hens in the main Serama coop. No cockerels, I used fertilised eggs that came with the hen.

I seperated the hen and chicks the day they hatched as another hen was broody at the same time (and has remained so) and it was causing some confusion.

So now the chicks are sturdy and agile I'd like to put them back into the main coop. All three hens are sisters and I have the chick coop in view of the main coop but shock horror the other two hens went/stayed broody a week after the chicks hatched and have been ever since. So they haven't really seen the chicks much.

My questions are:

Is it safe to put the hen and chicks in with two broodies?
If it is should I do this at night and simply put the hen and chicks into the coop house?
How soon can the chicks free range?

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help!

If these broodies are glued to their nests, they're not likely to even notice chicks running around outside or sleeping in their coop at night.

At five weeks, chicks should be spending time outdoors. Their mama broody should be given access to wherever she needs to take them. However, you may run into a problem with this broody and her brood not being thrilled with the move.

Chickens abhor change. You may need to coop her up in the main coop for a few days with her chicks. If you don't, they are likely to keep using the chick coop. As an alternative, you could just leave her and the chicks alone but give them access to both coops.

I have a coop section dedicated to a broody with chicks. I let her raise her chicks to the point of independence and emancipation. The chicks will continue to live in these quarters when the broody returns to living in the main coop. This gives the chicks a chance to mature and develop self confidence.

When I need this coop section again for a broody and new chicks, I then move the previous occupants to the main coop by closing it off to them until they adjust to their new quarters.

What I usually do is keep the hen and chicks separated until the chicks are old enough and big enough to not be at risk of getting into unfortunate situations (for example, getting taken by a predator, or getting lost). By then the hen might have left them to take care of themselves.

I wouldn't put the hen with the chicks in with the two broodies, just because she might be very protective of them, and there might be a big fight. However, as the chicks are 5 weeks old, they may be old enough to be integrated into the flock. I might be able to give better advice with a bit more info...

Do you intend to hatch eggs under the other 2 broodies? Or would you want to try and break them of their broodiness?

How big are the 5 week old chicks in comparison with the adult hens?

I don't intend to use the broodies, I have removed all eggs as they have been laid but basically left them to it.

I'd say the chicks are slightly less than a third of the adult size.

I would wait until they are slightly bigger, just to avoid them being seriously picked on by the other two hens. I'd also suggest trying to break the broodies if you don't intend on using them, as the poor things would then just be sitting for nothing.

If you need advice on breaking them of their broodiness, what I usually do is turf them out of the coop and lock the door so they can roam outside in an environment where there are no tempting nesting boxes. That usually works for me, but it depends on how serious they are ;)

Well they were easily broken! I turfed them out yesterday morning, took the nest boxes out and shut the pop hole while they free ranged all day - lo and behold they are no longer broody!

They have deep enough litter to lay if need be so I'm going to put the nest boxes back in a day or two.

So happier that they are able to see the chicks more now ready for integration in a few more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom