***Update*** 3 day old Banty chick with bad leg

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
While at my new favorite hangout this afternoon, the local feed store, I noticed a gray and white baby Banty that had just arrived in their shipment this morning with a splayed leg. It seemed to be getting around quite well using its other leg and wings, but the other chicks were dragging it around by the leg whenever it would stop to sleep and pecking at it something horrible. It was unable to get up to the waterer and feeder they had in the cage so I knew it wasn't getting any food or water. All of us knew it would not make it through the night, so they gave it to me for free to try and save. I guess, two weeks after getting my first chickens, I am now rescuing them!

I have read many threads already and I'm sure there are many more that will give me the information I need till I get to the vet in the morning (the first appointment I could get), but I thought I would just ask so maybe I can get crucial information more quickly.

The chick drinks fine and has pooped once but so far I have not seen it eat. I'm not sure if this is normal for this young of chick or not. It is very active around the brooder I set up for it and cheeps constantly. It loves being held. I thought I was going to lose it earlier when it went into some sort of spasm. It's head twisted around funny and it flopped on its back. I held it, thinking if it was going to die at least it would die feeling safe but it settled right down and slept in my hands.

For the past hour it has been sleeping under the light while I ran out and got Polyvisol, pedialyte and baby food (to use the lids as a waterer and feeder). It loves the pedialyte, drinking it very easily from the dropper and it took 3 drops of Polyvisol very easily. I have boiled hard boiled eggs to mix with water to feed it soon. She opens her mouth like she wants food whenever I give her the pedialyte.

My questions are...am I doing everything I can be doing at this point? Can I feed it anything other than the hard boiled egg mixture to give it nourishment? Perhaps the baby food? How much pedialyte and how often? How often for the Polyvisol? Is there any other information or advice anyone can give me?

I really want to save this chick. I am weird I guess, but I fell in love with her the minute I saw her. My daughter has named her Quincy and we have accepted that she might always need special help due to her leg and might never be able to be with the other chickens.

Any help would be appreciated to this complete newbie! Thanks!

dsc0017nq7.jpg

dsc0016gd3.jpg

dsc0014gu2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! This is exactly what I was searching for last night but it was taking forever to find
hmm.png

The chick lived through the night and is eating and drinking just fine. My vet is splinting the leg for me this afternoon so I can learn how to do it for the future. Small price to pay to for great knowledge I know will come in handy.

clap.gif
way to go !! Quincy is one lucky chickie & a cutie. Glad she is eating & drinking.
yippiechickie.gif

You may want to put some marbles or rocks in her drinking water,so she doesn't accidentally drown.
Good luck,please keep us posted on how she's doing
smile.png

Quote:
That's a good idea, thank you. I hadn't thought of her drowning since I'm using baby food lids but I guess it is possible?

She has stolen all our hearts already, lol I think this is going to be one spoiled little chickie!
jumpy.gif

After a lot of researching by my vet and help from the local college poultry department, little Quincy has been diagnosed with perosis. Thankfully, she is eating and drinking well and normal in every other way it seems except her leg. She will continue to receive her Polyvisol for quite a while along with other nutritional goodies mixed in with her starter crumble. I'm sure she won't be complaining as she is terribly spoiled in just one day! We have it hobbled now and are hoping that it will correct itself a bit over time. If not, she will be our "special" house chicken who is pampered beyond all belief for the rest of her life
jumpy.gif
If she does get better, I will try her with the other hens eventually or get her some Banty friends of her own.

It's just nice knowing what is wrong with her
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you for asking! She is doing great and I'm very happy to say that all the researching by my vet was incorrect
roll.png
Her hobble came loose earlier this week so I took it off and she stood right up and started walking around on both her legs! She is not as graceful as my other chicks but she does just fine. She even showed me, proudly (she's more of a pet now), last night how she can peck and scratch. Lol it's quite comical to watch but I'm very happy she is going to live a normal chicken life with both her legs
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom