Update: Broody in Nesting Box

That's a good idea.....
I'm not sure whether to place this separate area outside or in our garage/tack room. I DO want to include our broody with the rest of the flock so that they don't abandon her.
Needs space for food/water.

I can't decide what to do! :barnie Soooo, I could either:

1: Get an A frame rabbit hutch. They sell them online through PetCo.
2: I do have a large dog kennel (see-through all around), would have to maybe attach chicken wire around the outsides. This is what I have, see picture.
3: Get large appliance box.
I use a kennel like this sometimes, with an attached chicken wire run that is closed on top. The worst problem is the other hens walking atop the "roof." Must seem like Godzilla to the babies, not too mention the crap bombs. I put a solid cover over the kennel itself to keep the food and water clean. I sometimes have several broodies at once, so we have to use all kinds of makeshift pens.

Our broody did great in the hen house. I already found one out of the nest box earlier today though she was cold she was doing great s few hours later I suspect she struck out in her own again causing me a great deal of worry. Then one of the hatchlings died, I don’t know what caused it, so I just moved Lemon her four chicks and her two remaining eggs into the utility room. Fortunately it was all set up “just in case”.

My broody in a box. She has everything she needs, and I'm sure she will be miss the privacy and quiet of her box when I move her on Tuesday back to the barn!

Attachments

• IMG_8046.JPG
    IMG_8046.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 14
Cool, thanks for all the suggestions! I came across this image online, of a broody coop, using pet crates. So, is it suggested to move the broody hen and eggs at night to her new space? ~ ~ I happen to have a pet plastic crate AND metal one. May fashion it up like this one:

upload_2018-4-9_6-57-41.png

Last edited:
yes, that looks great! I was going to do that with a platic crate and my box, but couldnt figure a good way of attaching without a gap, and didnt want any injuries to babies, so if you can figure out how to do that without gaps, I think thats ideal! And then some cardboard or chicken wire around the bottom 6 inches of the metal crate.

Great article on Broody Hens!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/complete-guide-dealing-with-all-things-broody.63028/

I finally have my nursery / maternity ward set up, inside of one of my outbuildings, so that it's separate from the chicken coop and the whole flock. I put a small pet carrier inside of a large dog crate and filled up both crates with pine shavings. Cut out some cardboard to put around perimeter of cage to keep in pine shavings too. Just gotta head to the feed store to get chick waterer and chick feeder. I think I have a heat lamp laying around somewhere. Should feeders/waterers be on the cage floor? Maybe hang them up?

Attachments

• IMG_4029.JPG
    IMG_4029.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
That looks great! I think you'll be fine fro about a week with that set up- then they'll need more room..depending on how many there are. I know a ton of people suggest shavings, but I hate them. They are such a mess- and with babies they cant reach if you hang things... I have a sheet of cardboard on half of the maternity ward, and put water and feeder there, but momma hen still scratches and fills it all up with shavings. I pick out shavings and dump/refill water like 6-7 times a day. its insane.. I will be very happy when they are all in the barn with dirt floors and straw. Dust is way better than all these stupid shavings filling up the feeders and sucking up all the water. (but yes, shavings do a good job absorbing poop) With my other babies I never used shavings, and I will never again....

Back
Top Bottom