UPDATE - Got im! - How to catch a duck that doesn't want to be caught?

Don't use the pole with the hook, waterfowl have weak legs. Hence why most go for the neck. You wouldn't want to harm his legs/feet by grabbing them and then him straining against it.

What we do is take a rope, that will spread across the pond. Then walk with a person on each side of the pond, with the rope across the water and try to walk them up into a corner. Try to walk them into a corner, and then there just try to grab them by the neck or around their body. Pick him up, put him in an animal crate and send him on his merry way to his new home.

-Kim

Quote:
What a good idea!! I have a ton of drakes that I have just been getting females for....didn't know anyone else with a boat!
lau.gif
I would probably need 2, and a good sized drag net, to get my ducks off the pond!! I'll have to try the rope idea!

a fishing net is a one time thing. if you catch him once with it, you will never do it again out in the open.

If you miss with the net you will never get close enough with the same length of handle..
lau.gif

your best bet is to herd them into a smaller pen or coop..

they can see very well at night, even without night goggles..

I had some pekins who would go night crawler picking in the rain at night..

We got him!

NoSpringChick, Mr. NoSpringChick, myself and the assistant director at the school that housed the ducks managed to get him.

It was a combination of the rope trick (we actually tied it to a tree and stretched it across the pond so one person could use it to herd the ducks) and Mr. NoSpringChick with a big long handled fishing net.

No video was taken, sorry.

No one ended up in the pond! We had quite the audience though. I think they were hoping for a splash.

Back
Top Bottom