Update: Having A kennel as a coop?

Here is a pic of my old set-up I had for 3 birds.
22798_first_coop_jan_2002.jpg

I use 3 dog runs that are attached, for my runs. My actual coops, where the birds sleep at night and lay, are adjacent to the runs. My dog runs are heavy enough that they don't need to be anchored, but the t-post suggestion is a good one. You also might consider getting a large dog house or building something out of wood for the birds to roost and sleep in. I would worry with all of that plastic, that you won't get enough ventilation.

And my current set up. This was right before I set the runs up behind the coops.
22798_dsc_1374.jpg

Last edited:
I attached kennel to coop with some steel straps and attached with screws, top has another panel attached, has been very sturdy. Something you could do to anchor down kennel is use something like concrete re-rod, cut down to size, bend in the shape of a long U and pound down into ground on base of kennel, that should anchor it well.

I'd sink some posts into the ground in concrete and anchor the run to them. And as mentioned above, run some 2 x4's over the top, attached securely. I live in a high wind tunnel. I have to put everything in concrete.

I just read on a thread recently where you should sandwich the plastic between the fence and some snow fencing. Attach the plastic to the outside then over the top of that attach some snow fencing. This will make a
sandwich which should keep the plastic from getting thrashed. You'll probably only get a few seasons out of it. I have to replace plastic/tarps each season. I haven't tried this myself yet but thought it's worth mentioning.

You could take some concrete rebar & bend loops into the top. Pound into the ground, then secure the kennel to those. Basically, this would be like making giant tent stakes.

Better still, cement the rebar into the ground...

Sorry this pic doesn't show much detail but here is how I utilized a 6'x12' kennel. I built the frame out of 2x4 then secured it to the top of the kennel with plumbers tape, then added the metal roof.This has survived severe winds with no damage. Then I added the little coop and finally painted. There is a wire "tunnel" that connects the two. I would agree with the idea of driving some posts to secure the kennel to.
23104_sdc10016.jpg

23104_banty_coop_002.jpg

Quote:
Yeah and I actually got the little shed/coop for free on craigs list just loaded it on my trailer and hauled it home. It has even more cool stuff added now. Like solar porch light interior light and fan and some decorations on the outside.

Thanks every one for the posts!

Kansaseq: I like your coops! In the morning I would open the door and pull the plastic up that covered the door, then on the right side of the kennel I would pull the plastic up and with all the wind we have it got great cross ventilation but I did worry about that. I have look on craigslist and places like that but no one has a dog house/coop. In my area to get a coop for all the chickens I have it cost $1,000+ and I cant build a coop to save my life.
barnie.gif

Chicken rustler: You did a great job on that coop! I wish I could find something like that on craigslist.

Rozzie: I like you rebar idea, Thanks

I have seen people board up kennels and use them as a coop and was kind of thinking along those lines as I cant build a coop to save my life and really don't see spending $1,000+ on one. I had plans with someone to build me a coop but it didn't happen. So i put the plastic on the kennel and thought the worst of the storms would be done... Guess not. I really don't have to worry about a run as my chickens free range during the day.

Thanks For The Help I Have Gotten Some Good Ideas.
big_smile.png

I expect the wind and weight of any water catching/sitting on the plastic is what pulled your pen down. I use kennel panels for my runs and had bird netting over them- even heavy rain or light snow would start to pull them over. I use an 8x13 chain link kennel pen for my ducks/grow out pen and I just put a couple of plastic dog houses in them for the birds to get out of the weather. They all do fine in there, even during bad/cold weather. My eventual plan (once I move it to its final location) is to run posts up the sides (using pipe clamps- available at your home improvement center) and use that to support a salvaged tin roof. If you don't have a ton of money (and who does these days?) I would go with a plywood top and a dog house type structure which you can build out of salvaged pallets. Pallets are generally free and easy to take apart and yield a lot of usable lumber. You could also stack some straw bales around the outside on the windward sides (this would block the wind without putting weight on your panels and taking up floor space inside the pen). Straw (or hay which is not good enough for livestock to eat) is usually readily available for little or nothing too.

Back
Top Bottom