Update!!! On my chickens "hanging bloody earlobe"

Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Seabeck, Washington
Hi Everyone! I just wanted to let you know that my hen who ended up with that torn earlobe is healed and back with the rest of the flock. I kept her in the seperate area of my coop for a week. She could still see the rest of chickens, but they could peck at her. After the original cleaning and application of neosporin, I just left it be until the main scab came off. She still had a small flap of skin hanging though. I was worried the other girls would be too interested in it (looked like a hanking worm) so, I took a pair of sharp cuticle scissors to it as suggested. My seven year old was mortified that I made him hold her for it, but he and the hen (now named Lucy) did just fine. A squirt of saline, a dab of neosporin and she was pacing at the chicken wire door to go roost with the rest of them. No scabs or bleeding, so it seemed to be a good time. I watched her get her spot on the roost and hold her own. All has been smooth since. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

wee.gif

Yeah - WHOO-HOO!!

I LOVE to hear of the "recovery"
smile.png
Makes me think this "learning" time with my first flock may not be so horrid with all the GREAT info from you FABULOUS folks

Thanks for the update:thumbsup

It's refreshing to see a post like this once in awhile after reading so many folks having health issues - it's good to hear the happy endings, too! thanks for sharing with us!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom