UPDATE w/ pics! Broody hen's eggs are hatching. Now what?

alhanse77

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Rexburg, ID
One of our BRs went broody a few weeks ago so we bought her some fertile eggs. I really didn't think any would hatch (today is day 23 or 24) but one little chick started hatching today. We are so excited! We have never hatched eggs before, either in an incubator or with a broody. What should I be watching for next? She still has 6 more eggs underneath her. Thanks!!
smile.png

UPDATE! One day later there are four healthy chicks! We'll wait a couple more days to see if any more hatch. My kids are going to freak out when they get home from school.

Last edited:
Congrats!!
thumbsup.gif
jumpy.gif
If she is isolated from the flock, I would just leave her be and see if any other chicks hatch. You could check the eggs to see if they are duds or not and discard the bad ones? All up to you though!
smile.png

Just leave her alone and try not to disturb her. She will sit on them all and acare for them without help. It may take a while (think 24 hours or even a day or two) for them to all hatch. The best thing you can do is just let her sit and let them hatch on their own schedule. Good luck! And Congratulations!

Last edited:
Two little chickes have successfully hatched!
celebrate.gif
I'll leave mama alone and check on her again tomorrow. Do I need to separate mom and the chicks from the rest of the flock to keep the little ones safe?

It is up to you. The first time I didn't. This time I did because we have a bunch of hens, all different ages. They were recently introduced (within the last 2 weeks) so we didn't want to have a pecking order issue. The first time it was fine though. Good luck.

I think I'll just let them be for now. I have a small flock of 8 hens, all the same age, that free-range all day so mama should have plenty of peace and privacy.

AWESOME!!!

Congrats on the hatch!

I would think about isolating the hatchlings from the rest of the flock... no telling what the "Others" will think about the chicks.

Rotor

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom