Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
Kathy, I saw posts earlier in the thread about Sulmet... I see that it is typically used in the water, but Tractor Supply has a bovine bolus form. Have you ever used Sulmet as a drench?

Also, someone else had written about using probiotics for their birds. I've been feeding human probiotics to the family, but haven't a clue where to find "appropriate" probiotics for chickens and/or peas. Have you tried probiotics, especially after Sulmet, and what did you use?

Thanks so much!
Be careful when using corid and sulmet i read long ago some-where that it is not good to mix the two because it can increase bleeding caused by Coccidia, it is best to use corid first then wait 3 weeks and use the other if i remember correctly.

Kat can you confirm this?

Also, I notice that the cattle bolus sulfamethazine is a sustained release formula that the box says is supposed to release the meds over 72 hours... That might be helpful, I would think?

Be careful when using corid and sulmet i read long ago some-where that it is not good to mix the two because it can increase bleeding caused by Coccidia, it is best to use corid first then wait 3 weeks and use the other if i remember correctly.
After searching more areas of BYC, I see a number of recommendations to use sulfadimethoxine (Albon) rather than sulfamethazine (Sulmet), with the thought that the sulfadimethoxine is easier on the birds and possibly more effective?

Be careful when using corid and  sulmet i read long ago some-where that it is not good to mix the two because it can increase bleeding caused by Coccidia, it is best to use corid first then wait 3 weeks and use the other if i remember correctly.

After searching more areas of BYC, I see a number of recommendations to use sulfadimethoxine (Albon) rather than sulfamethazine (Sulmet), with the thought that the sulfadimethoxine is easier on the birds and possibly more effective?

I have read the same posts, but not sure where that info originated. To the best of my knowledge, all sulfa drugs can be used to treat coccidiosis and I think all have warnings regarding the kidneys. Can't comment on efficacy of one versus the other because I haven't researched it. :D

-Kathy

Kathy, I saw posts earlier in the thread about Sulmet...  I see that it is typically used in the water, but Tractor Supply has a bovine bolus form.  Have you ever used Sulmet as a drench?

Also, someone else had written about using probiotics for their birds.  I've been feeding human probiotics to the family, but haven't a clue where to find "appropriate" probiotics for chickens and/or peas.  Have you tried probiotics, especially after Sulmet, and what did you use?

Thanks so much!

Be careful when using corid and  sulmet i read long ago some-where that it is not good to mix the two because it can increase bleeding caused by Coccidia, it is best to use corid first then wait 3 weeks and use the other if i remember correctly.

Kat can you confirm this?

I remember reading something about one of the coccidiostats causing more bleeding, but I don't think it had anything to do with mixing it with Corid. Will look into it.

-Kathy

As you know my vet is having me put all meds into the wet mash I feed all my birds, so it is measured and completely taken down by the birds.  Her last recommendations were to treat at the high dosage for five days and follow up with the lower dosage for twenty one more days.  She wants me to torch the pen to try to kill any eggs that may be lying about in the poo and dirt with a propane torch.

She also recommended that I reduce the starch input by cutting out gains, I have been adding crimped corn to the feed, she wants me to stop the corn.  Also recommended adding vitamin B to their diet as the Cocci eat up the available B complex thus staving the birds need for vitamin B.  She also wants me to increase the rough fiber in the diet by adding alfalfa pellets to the mash, more fresh cut alfalfa, or leafy green alfalfa hay being available 24/7.

I don't know how this stacks up to your thinking but it is the path I am on for now. 

The treatment dosage is usually given for one week, then drop to half dose for another week and half that dose for yet another week and then again for the final week. By doing this you are helping the birds build immunity and starving the coccidia of thiamine B1 and their ability to feed. After treatment it is recommended that you give your flock a good avian multi vitamin in their water , there are several on the market.

As you know my vet is having me put all meds into the wet mash I feed all my birds, so it is measured and completely taken down by the birds.  Her last recommendations were to treat at the high dosage for five days and follow up with the lower dosage for twenty one more days.  She wants me to torch the pen to try to kill any eggs that may be lying about in the poo and dirt with a propane torch.

She also recommended that I reduce the starch input by cutting out gains, I have been adding crimped corn to the feed, she wants me to stop the corn.  Also recommended adding vitamin B to their diet as the Cocci eat up the available B complex thus staving the birds need for vitamin B.  She also wants me to increase the rough fiber in the diet by adding alfalfa pellets to the mash, more fresh cut alfalfa, or leafy green alfalfa hay being available 24/7.

I don't know how this stacks up to your thinking but it is the path I am on for now. 

The treatment dosage is usually given for one week, then drop to half dose for another week and half that dose for yet another week and then again for the final week. By doing this you are helping the birds build immunity and starving the coccidia of thiamine B1 and their ability to feed. After treatment it is recommended that you give your flock a good avian multi vitamin in their water , there are several on the market.

Here in the US the mfg and FDA recommend doing it slightly different, but I don't think it really matters. The method you mention makes perfect sense to me, and something I might try. :D

-Kathy

Here in the US the mfg and FDA recommend doing it slightly different, but I don't think it really matters. The method you mention makes perfect sense to me, and something I might try. :D

-Kathy

Kathy this link mentions drenching sulfa drugs but it also says not to administer to birds over 16 weeks of age. For me , if the amprolium works I wouldn't bother switching to antibiotics that carry warnings of kidney and organ damage.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/sulfadimethoxine-oral-solution.html

The next time I suspect coccidiosis I'm gonna try the generic Baycox that we just bought. It has a crazy 70 withdrawal in meat animals, so probably not a good choice for those with chickens. :D

-Kathy

Kathy this link mentions drenching sulfa drugs but it also says not to administer to birds over 16 weeks of age. For me , if the amprolium works I wouldn't bother switching to antibiotics that carry warnings of kidney and organ damage.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/sulfadimethoxine-oral-solution.html

Hmmm, if I'm reading it correctly (who knows?), I interpret it as giving the dosing for the drug to poultry via water, not drenching. It does mention drenching for cattle. And it says not to give to birds over 16 weeks -- which in the context of the label, would mean not in the water, either?

I dunno, I think that has to be related to withdrawal period rather than harm to the bird, but again, totally unclear to me. I did find this version of the prescribing information that seemed to specifically link it to withdrawal period ("residue warning").

http://www.drugs.com/pro/sulfadimethoxine.html

I am trying to figure out if I can administer it as a drench, or orally via food, to individual birds.

My peas are all fine (thank heavens
fl.gif
), but I am thinking that a couple of the geriatric chicken hens are having coccidiosis issues, which is manifesting as very watery poo. They are otherwise eating, drinking and continuing to lay eggs. Since the red sex-link is rapidly approaching 4 (as are all the chicken hens), I think maybe the stress of all the laying has just worn out her body and immune system. There's no blood in the poo, it's just very watery in two of the chickens.

I also suspect, since the peas are fine, that this may be one of the strains that chickens get and peas don't. The peas are having perfect hershey kiss poo.

I started everybody on Corid in the drinking water (including the peas), and I'm hoping that clears it up pronto. But I'm thinking the poor, worn-out hens might benefit from some actual antibiotic down the throat. I don't want to put the antibiotic in the drinking water, since I don't think there's any point in the peas getting it, and I don't want them on an antibiotic unless it's clearly indicated.

I do think I want to give everyone some extra B vitamins and some probiotics can't hurt...

But I'm trying to figure out if I can individually drench all the chicken hens to see if that fixes their problem.

Back
Top Bottom