Urban Chicken Law Passed... Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theofire88

Chirping
Feb 16, 2015
I, myself, am a devout chicken enthusiast and raiser, however there has been a law recently passed that permits chickens to be raised, housed and hatched, basically anything, inside city limits. Opinions?

I am extremely opposed to this law, for a few reasons:
- There is a certain standard that people have the obligation to uphold in the city, this regards noise, cleanliness (I am sorry, but I think we all know how much chickens care about hygiene ;p) and odour etc.
- Few people realize how hard it is to maintain the health of a flock, or how crude (sorry - for lack of a better word) they are with each other. They can be a plain pain to care for!
- Few people realize chickens only lay for a few years out of their lifetimes, and not many people want to butcher their pets, causing a glut of unwanted chickens, and while you would like to belive you, or "city folk" (depending on your type) would continue to care for these creatures, after a while, people will not want to care for their hens without the excitement of fresh eggs!
- Chickens can, but also may not show many attributes of a "pet". They are not the smartest of all the creatures in this world, and quite often, unless they imprint on you, they will just not show any signs of affection!
- Tons of people like to imagine the 'awesomeness' of having their very own pet chickens run around, but few CAN imagine the work it takes to keep them, and the horrible habits they can pick up, such as feather pulling, which leave one big, bloody mess. They like to imagine these chickens running around after them like small,cute, feathered dogs, the image is correct if you add in the poop they will have on their feet and maybe feathers, this assaulting stench and workload.
- There are many illnesses, syndromes, defects etc that come with chickens and not many people will know to take the right actions, at the right time. Lots of people fry their chicks alive, just due to a little negligent and lack of proper reading!
- Chickens need SPACE. They are FARM ANIMALS, there's a reason for this, and keeping your chickens in a city lot is NOT Anywhere near equivalent to Keeping them I a farm with ample space and equipment necessary! Just because they are smaller than the average farm animal does not mean they are any less work or in any less need of a "farm setting"
- For sure this will cause an increase in natural predator attacks in cities as chicken-smell travels and I am sure a dog-snatching coyote would LOVE some chicken, and chances are he'll be back more than once!! ;p
There are exceptions to this, such as if you have a two acre lot or live on the outskirts of the city, which chances are, is what was in mind when the law was presented!

Now there are for sure points I have missed, and the law is one trial, but these are my views!

I feel this is a highly dangerous move on a chicken loving website ;) but I hope you will consider my views and please post yours below, and let me know how you feel on this. Agree or disagree?

Thanks! ;D

Sorry, disagree. If you are going to start placing exacting and restrictive ordinances on people with chickens, then you will also have to pass regulations regarding every aspect of keeping every animal and plant, as well as probably children (many of your arguments could be used for those who want to have kids).

I have no problem with limitations based on things like REASONABLE sanitary concerns, or noise - although most places already have noise ordinances that should cover all possibilities, and do not need to be written specifically for chickens.

If your coop smells like something died you may want to review coop maintenance, as normally a properly cared for coop has little smell, and should not be foul.

No matter what you wish to cite, be it animals, gardens,or motorcycles, there will be those who do not do everything they could to care for their possessions properly. Those people should certainly be corrected. Even without specific regulations for chickens, animal control agencies are responsible for the welfare of all animals, and can act if neglect is suspected. Barring everyone from having chickens because you don't think some will do it right seems quite draconian, and smacks of government intrusion.

Sorry, disagree. If you are going to start placing exacting and restrictive ordinances on people with chickens, then you will also have to pass regulations regarding every aspect of keeping every animal and plant, as well as probably children (many of your arguments could be used for those who want to have kids).

I have no problem with limitations based on things like REASONABLE sanitary concerns, or noise - although most places already have noise ordinances that should cover all possibilities, and do not need to be written specifically for chickens.

Your objections are not entirely fact based.

x3

x4

X5

Sorry, disagree.  If you are going to start placing exacting and restrictive ordinances on people with chickens, then you will also have to pass regulations regarding every aspect of keeping every animal and plant, as well as probably children (many of your arguments could be used for those who want to have kids).

I discussed this with many people and had very conflicting replies. I knew I would encounter opposition, so don't worry, I take no offence!

I do agree, placing too many ordinances on people who just want a flock is annoying and unreasonable, my point is, where I live, houses can be very packed together with small yards, and chicken smell travels, as well as airborne diseases and allergens, also, having a small space can be uncomfortable for your pets. Also, I have a neighbour hatching chicks in her house with two children and she doesn't know the first thing! I'll be Suprised if ANY survive the way she is going about it... Maybe I am just being upset over this because of this fact. I don't like the law AT ALL, although, at the least I would like to see some laws on space required to be able to have chickens on the property, although I would like to see the law utterly removed, we are a capital city of thick suburbs and high end residences, not a rural farming community (wish we were sometimes though... ;p) most residents would not like chickens as a next door neighbour, no matter how much we love them. I feel there is a standard living in the city should uphold. I live in the city, and we have a farm out in the rural area where our chickens are at, and I (being a chicken person - is that what we are called???) would not appreciate the noise and sanitary levels chicken present next door, or even down the street, call me crazy. I love the farm, and would live on it in a heartbeat, but there is a standard in the city (I am using the word standard way to often, and I think I am talking is circles (lol) sorry, super tired) that I expect to be fulfilled, even if I am a 'farm girl' hope I make sense (lol)

Last edited:
I agree that the law will make it possible for more people to have chickens who shouldn't. There are chickens owners in the country who should not be chicken owners as well as the city. It really comes down to the person, whether in the city or country, to be a responsible owner and do research beforehand on what it takes to have chickens. Chickens take much more care than most realize, and it's not a hobby for entertainment or to give the kids a responsibility. It is then that the chicks or chickens suffer horribly, because of bad planning and wrong reason for getting them.

Chickens themselves are not smelly, and don't like to get poop on their feathers. Every living creature has to get rid of waste, and unless there is a system to keep things cleaned up there will be smell. (People clean up their dog's poop, hampsters get their cages cleaned out, sewer systems to get rid of people waste, etc.). It is the owner's responsibility again to keep the number of chickens within reason to space and time for care.

Most chickens are very smart, you have to be around them enough to realize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom