urban rooster management QUESTION

arlosmine

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Well,

I have been reading for a few weeks, but finally have a need for advise.

I am starting a very small-scale breeding project of mille fleur d'Uccles and have just brought home my first roo and hen (I have many other various sundry hens, but these I will breed)

I have an enormous yard and tolerent neighbors, but after determining that my roo is training for the crowing OLYLMPICS, I built him a very cool, huge rooster pad (5'X4'X3') in the garage. He has a lovely window (4'X5') with a view of the yard and though you can still hear him outside, he doesn't make you bite your tounge in two when he lets loose. I think it will work.

My question is this:

Can I leave him in his condo and bring my hens in to have "sleep-overs" (or a several day junket) and then return them to their nice , new coop/run with nest boxes and no noisy boys?

Do I have to worry about re-introducing everybody all of the time?

Will this wreak havok with egg fertility?

This really the ONLY option for me to breed, so any suggestions for success would be appreciated. I could leave a hen in with him, but I have a BRAND-NEW beautiful enclosed run/coop which could easily house three hens.

Thank you for any and all thoughts!

I don't know if it will work, but I think you have a fantastic idea.

That's a large roo pad... perhaps you could put two hens in at a time for a few days each.

Quote:
A hen will be fertile for 3 to 6 weeks since she was last with a rooster. The variance depends on different individuals experiences here on this board...

You shouldn't have any problems if you allow a sleep over every once and a while.

Wonder if a no bark dog collar could be fitted to your rooster? Then he could happily live with the hens in the "big" house... Sorry, I couldn't resist!
lau.gif

hi,
welcome-byc.gif
! now, you say you live in an urban setting, and you have great neighbors, talk to them, they might not mind a roo at all, i live in the city limits with 4 roos!! i have spoken with all my neighbors, they all love to hear them crow!! (did i get lucky or what
tongue.png
) i also give all my neighbors fresh eggs, so they are all happy!! including me! i really didnt want 4 roo's, but it happened, I've had 1 of my roos a little over 2 yrs, & the other 3 going on a yr, i also told my neighbors if it ever bothers them , to let me know right away, & they all said they dont care if the roo's crow! so just talk to them, you might be surprised!! and not have to separate.

Back
Top Bottom