!!!URGENT!!! CHICKEN IN DANGER!!!

calman5565

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Hi everybody,

Let me start by saying that one of my RIR White Leghorn mixes has acted strangely for the last two days. By strange I mean she is at the top of the pecking order and has always regularly reinforced that but now she has been doing a lot of sitting and acting lethargic. I also have a suspicion that she has stopped laying and when I took a closer look tonight I saw and felt that her behind is extremely large. In the pics attached you will se her with another hen who has always been almost identical to her in size shape posture and energy. The hen I am concerned about is the darker one. Does this mean that she possibly has an egg that is backed up? Is she sick? I desperately need thoughts or ideas, please help!

After a 25 minute warm bath I took her into the garage and within 2 minutes this came out. It is kind of hard to see but it appears to be an egg white with poop mixed in. What else is there for me to do?

You did good. I would give her another warm bath, put some epsom salts in there (local drugstore or WalMart pharm area), it really helps relax muscles. Give her a little gentle massage, working from the area just in front of legs, back towards vent....

After the bath, lube a finger with some olive oil lube the inside of the vent area, this will help if she's been dry inside....While you're in there does your finger tip touch anything? If so, follow around the edge and try to lube that some - could be an egg....

hugs.gif

I gave her another soak this afternoon and right after she did it again. That was at 2:30 and since then she has done the same thing probably six times. What does this mean? I tried to lubricate her vent but she really didn't like that.

I gave her another soak this afternoon and right after she did it again. That was at 2:30 and since then she has done the same thing probably six times. What does this mean? I tried to lubricate her vent but she really didn't like that.
she is loaded with eggs, you must get them out or she will pass away. be careful, but try hard to lube her and bath her until you think the eggs are all out.

read this link very helpfull i added the part of what to do after warm soaking

Then rub some vegetable oil around her vent and very gently massage her abdomen. Put her in quiet, dark location in a large crate or cage. A dog crate or bird cage with a towel or blanket draped over it, a towel that has been warmed in the dryer on the bottom, and set over a pan of hot water (or with a heating pad under the towel) with a heat lamp is perfect. You want to create moist heat.

Read more: http://www.grit.com/fresh-eggs-daily/egg-bound-hen-how-to-recognize-treat-prevent.aspx#ixzz1zcVuLhqJ

http://www.grit.com/fresh-eggs-daily/egg-bound-hen-how-to-recognize-treat-prevent.aspx

carey 1973, thanks - I forgot that part about putting her in a dimly lit location.... calman5565, the dim light is supposed to slow down or stop egg production, it'll help your hen.

How's she doing? Wow, she had a lot going on in there....

Thank you for all the advice everyone. She is definitely more active and alert to the point where I was able to put her back with the flock. She has a somewhat awkward gait but that appears to be improving. Thank you all so much for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom