URGENT HELLP PEACOCK EGG

SilkieChickenLover336

Songster
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
New Jersey
I need to help hatch a peacock egg that has pipped since yesterday. It has made no progress at all. I really need to help it. It is still alive. I know the shell is very hard because i can barely crack it. HELP! how do I help it hatch?

This is what i do.
Turn off all cool air if possible, run a sink half full of warm to the touch water.
find where the head is and keep it turned toward you.
keep the egg cupped in your hand and slowly slip it into the warm water making sure the head does not get submerged. you want the warm water to trickle into the egg so let it set there for a muinet or two this will soften the membrain
try to chip the shell away starting at the head area, the water soaks in the membrane will be soften it making it easer to peal the egg from the Baby.
If you see blood stop and put it back in the bator wrapped in a warm moist cloth leaving the open area exposed.

If the baby is strong enough you may find it hatched in a hour or 2 because the membrane is soft again and the chick can move and free itself , if not start the process over in a few hours.

I can get a chick out of a harden shell in 5 minutes but i been doing it along time, the only drawback i have ever found is there is alot of chicks born with legg issues but i usually wait a day or 2 after hatch befor i address them if they occur

I forgot make sure you have some warm washcloths handy for when baby slips out of the shell.

Good luck, keep us posted .

This is what i do.
Turn off all cool air if possible, run a sink half full of warm to the touch water.
find where the head is and keep it turned toward you.
keep the egg cupped in your hand and slowly slip it into the warm water making sure the head does not get submerged. you want the warm water to trickle into the egg so let it set there for a muinet or two this will soften the membrain
try to chip the shell away starting at the head area, the water soaks in the membrane  will  be soften it making it easer to peal the egg from the Baby.
If you see blood stop and put it back in the bator wrapped in a warm moist cloth leaving the open area exposed.

If the baby is strong enough you may find it hatched in a hour or 2 because the membrane is soft again and the chick can move and free itself , if not start the process over in a few hours.

I can get a chick out of a harden shell in 5 minutes but i been doing it along time, the only drawback i have ever found is there is alot of chicks born with legg issues but i usually wait a day or  2 after hatch befor i address them if they occur

I forgot make sure you have some warm washcloths handy for when baby slips out of the shell.

Good luck, keep us posted .

This answered a question that I asked on another thread.

I am bookmarking this for this next hatch. Thanks for sharing the information. :thumbsup

Last edited:
I'm bookmarking this also. It always seems like even on the few chicken eggs that don't make it they pip and you can tell they are alive they just don't go any farther. I've tried breaking away the shell but seems membrane clings to them.

Back
Top Bottom