URGENT- Hen is lethargic with pale comb and can’t stand!!!

Jabery624

Hatching
Aug 12, 2019
i need help!!!!
I have 2 free roaming chickens that live together which are about 2.5-3 years old. They are Rhode Island Reds. Part of the backyard is near a wooded area/forest. The smaller of the sisters all of a sudden started staying in her coop and will not eat or stand!
She seems very weak and is letting out a neon yellow/green watery poo (will include picture)

Her comb is very pale and floppy and she feels extremely warm - I have been trying to cool off her legs and comb with cool water thinking this is because of the heat (mid 90s)
I checked through her feathers especially under the wings and vent area but cannot find any signs of mites

She seems very light and I cannot tell if she has an egg stuck
Her bottom is crusted with bright yellow and green poop - almost like a hilighter color. There is no change in the poop. Just a consistent yellow/green for the last 2 days now. As far as I can see, no worms are visible. Could she possibly have eaten something or been bitten by something?

I have tried giving her some plain yogurt and mixing some electrolytes and probiotics with her feed.

When she is lifted and held. Her bottom feels very warm and squishy. Not like her sister. Her sister seems to be just fine. I will include picture for comparison.
Healthy sister is the chicken standing and the sick hen is sitting.

Please help. I’m very worried for her and not many people in my area know much about chickens or can offer much

As for the questions:
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Both girls are Rhode Island Reds and about 2.5-3 years old. The sick one seems very light and bony compared to the other hen

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Very lethargic, feathers puffed, weakness, trouble standing, very wobbly and weak gait, pale and floppy comb, green/yellow poop, refusal to eat and drink, droopy neck, puffed up back/bottom feathers, laying to the side

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Almost 2 days with diarrhea. She began acting a little off 4 days ago but nothing seemed too alarming, she just seemed to be enjoying the shade

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Her sister seems to be fine, a bit of a dirty bottom as well but eating, scratching, and acting like a normal hen

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
As far as I can see I don’t see any signs of trauma

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I’m wondering if she could have possibly eaten something she shouldn’t have or has been bitten by something

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Both hens have been eating the normal diet for about 2 years now along with whatever critters found outside while roaming. Diet includes pellets, scratch grain, oyster shells, and fruits/vegetables

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny and bright yellow and green. Very little dark green solid pieces but mostly water and goo

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Cooling comb and legs (thinking it was because of the heat). Giving probiotics and electrolytes. Isolating from other chicken in a comfortable basket inside with towels and easy reach of food/drink trying to keep her comfortable

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Anything at this point. I’m very worried she won’t make it but I’ve got to try. She’s my baby

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Housing is a covered 2 story chicken coop with cedar wood shavings on top story (where they nest and sleep at night) while bottom story is the ground (dug up from day time dusting and scrounging) - they are let out daily (unless weather prevents it)

Attachments

• 31DC27AD-3852-4028-ADF8-4C4E4E52DCB6.jpeg
    31DC27AD-3852-4028-ADF8-4C4E4E52DCB6.jpeg
    844.2 KB · Views: 101
  • E1C9C788-D418-4FEF-9525-4B5832D484AA.jpeg
    E1C9C788-D418-4FEF-9525-4B5832D484AA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • 36D59685-A080-47EC-B7A5-C3DCDD4419F3.png
    36D59685-A080-47EC-B7A5-C3DCDD4419F3.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • C463B8CC-A37D-4F30-A72F-ABEEB6B92AD0.png
    C463B8CC-A37D-4F30-A72F-ABEEB6B92AD0.png
    3 MB · Views: 39
  • 293DD268-75B9-4507-A30E-6B7C2279A5BC.jpeg
    293DD268-75B9-4507-A30E-6B7C2279A5BC.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 38
Welcome to BYC, I'm sorry that your hen is not well.

Do you know when she last laid an egg? All of her eggs been normal?
Is her crop empty?

The poop is concerning. She may have a reproductive disorder, but it would be good to feel inside the vent for an egg.
I would try to get her hydrated if possible, then see is she will eat some wet feed.

Welcome to BYC, I'm sorry that your hen is not well.

Do you know when she last laid an egg? All of her eggs been normal?
Is her crop empty?

The poop is concerning. She may have a reproductive disorder, but it would be good to feel inside the vent for an egg.
I would try to get her hydrated if possible, then see is she will eat some wet feed.
I am not exactly sure when she last laid an egg. There is usually an egg a day between the both of them but I do know know for sure if all is coming from one hen or from both. Last night when I left her in the coop with her sister, she was sitting on top of an egg when I checked on her later - still not sure if from her or if she was sitting on the sisters egg. The eggs that do appear feel a little thin and rigid. A lot come quite large than a normal large size egg you’d get from the super market.

As for her crop. I cannot feel anything, it feels empty. I just feel skin and bones at this point.

I’ve been trying to help her drink some of the electrolyte/probiotic water using a syringe and dropping little by little in her mouth. I have also mixed the water with her pellets and she tries here and there to peck at it but I’ve got to constantly stroke the back of her head and comb to get her to peck.

I will try and feel for egg fragments when I get back to her today. (She lives an hour away at my moms house - she is monitoring the hen over night - so far she is not eating/drinking anymore

:hugs That doesn't sound too good.
I would suspect that she has a reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Internal Laying, cancer or similar. There's no way to really know which one unless you lose her and a necropsy is performed.

Antibiotics like Baytril may help if there is infection, but usually the effect is temporary and whatever the illness is finally takes them.

:hugs That doesn't sound too good.
I would suspect that she has a reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Internal Laying, cancer or similar. There's no way to really know which one unless you lose her and a necropsy is performed.

Antibiotics like Baytril may help if there is infection, but usually the effect is temporary and whatever the illness is finally takes them.
My poor girl, she doesn’t deserve this. Her sister will be alone :’(

My poor girl, she doesn’t deserve this. Her sister will be alone :’(
:hugs I'm sorry.
I've had a couple that bounced back for several months. It's really hard to know what's wrong when they are like this.
You can try worming her, treating with Corid for Coccidiosis and give her antibiotics to see if those make a difference.

It's very sad and so frustrating when hens start to decline with reproductive problems.

:hugs I'm sorry.
I've had a couple that bounced back for several months. It's really hard to know what's wrong when they are like this.
You can try worming her, treating with Corid for Coccidiosis and give her antibiotics to see if those make a difference.

It's very sad and so frustrating when hens start to decline with reproductive problems.
UPDATE: AN UNDERDEVELOPED CHICK HAS APPEARED LAST NIGHT. With wings and legs—— one issue. I’ve got 2 hens! I’m not sure how this is even possible?!?

I believe an egg has broken but I’m so shocked

Back
Top Bottom