Urgent (picutre added)

Oh congrats!!! I wish you the best of luck and hope it hatches!!!!!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I don't know why folks do lock down on their eggs for? We never have in the 10 years we have been raising fowl, I had never even heard of lock down before I came to this forum.

Last edited:
Quote:
You open your incubator in the couple days before your eggs hatch? Don't your chicks dry out in the shells?

The reason people "lock down" eggs in an incubator is to maintain the humidity necessary for the eggs to hatch. Otherwise a lot of people would have their hands in the incubator every five minutes (to candle, to look, to handle the eggs, or help too early, etc) and the membranes can shrink wrap around the chick as they dry out from the lack of humidity. If you're someplace where the ambient humidity is right, i guess it wouldn't matter if you opened the incubator a lot, but that would be sort of rare.

If you leave the incubator closed until hatch, it's the same thing as "lockdown" you just weren't calling it that.

We have had up to 3 cabinet incubators running at one time add eggs every 7 days til all are full and have never had those kind of problems, anyone that has hatched eggs should know that you don't open the doors 10 times a day if they don't have veins now they won't have them in 3 hrs.

But if we have eggs in the bater that are piping we take them out and this has never hurt our hatch. Just remember this is how we do it and I will not tell anyone else how to do their hatching it may not work for you.

Quote:
Really? It doesn't do anything to the eggs? I am going to do a staggered quail hatch and some will hatch sooner, I only have one incubator which is a Brinsea 20. And would it be ok if I still turned the eggs?

Last edited:
C&Rman :

Quote:
Really? It doesn't do anything to the eggs? I am going to do a staggered quail hatch and some will hatch sooner, I only have one incubator which is a Brinsea 20. And would it be ok if I still turned the eggs?

I don't know anything about hatching Quail eggs, We just hatch Peafowl, Chickens and Ornamental Pheasant​

C&R, you should be ok to turn until you see pips. After the shell has been breached, there's a fairly high risk of the membranes drying out- and they can dry out very quickly. It's great that this doesn't happen for Chocktaw, but it can happen.

When you get a chick like this because you've opened the incubator at the wrong time, you stop opening the incubator around hatch time. Thankfully not a lesson I've had to learn the hard way, but I know many have had a problem in the past.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4761286005_05740d62c1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom