URGENT Quail beak bleeding HELP APPRECIATED

Apr 30, 2022
My friend just came in with one of her quail. It was born with the bottom beak longer than the top half. At first she didn't realize it was a problem but she just noticed one of its eggshells were mushy (even though she's been supplying them with oyster shell for calcium). She tried to hand feed it some oyster shell and sure enough the beak problem was prohibiting it from eating oyster shell (although it ate feed fine). So she clipped the bottom half of the beak with pet nail clippers but accidentally cut too far down. Now miss quail is bleeding like crazy. She's having the quail peck cornstarch from her hand to help stop the bleeding and is trying to apply pressure with a baby wipe but the quail keeps fighting her way out of the pressure hold. Help would be greatly appreciated!!

She is still bleeding terribly and won't allow pressure to her beak almost at all and cornstarch is barely helping. Advice would be huge!! TIA,

The only thing that can be done is corn starch or styptic pencil and apply pressure until bleeding stops. I would also recommend neosporin once bleeding is under control

A little blood can look like a lot. Do you have a picture that shows us how much she's lost? She might have some Quikclot, works on all animals as far as i'm aware. Note the baby wipe is probably not helping—it is likely wiping away any clot as it forms. Have her use dry bandage/gauze if she can.

Quail can be immobilized, for instance with a toeless sock or in a cone or (from experience) rolled up loosely in a tea towel.

A little blood can look like a lot. Do you have a picture that shows us how much she's lost? She might have some Quikclot, works on all animals as far as i'm aware. Note the baby wipe is probably not helping—it is likely wiping away any clot as it forms. Have her use dry bandage/gauze if she can.

Quail can be immobilized, for instance with a toeless sock or in a cone or (from experience) rolled up loosely in a tea towel.
Thank you for the advice!! We switched off the wipe and instead use a little piece of bathroom tissue (along with the corn starch).

Miss quail has completely stopped bleeding!! Thank you both for all of your help!

We are going to keep her indoors separated from the rest so that she doesn't get re-injured until she more fully heals.

In future, you can also immobilize quail by holding your hand, palm down, index finger over one shoulder & middle finger over the other shoulder of the bird and gently hooking those fingers over the shoulders, then with thumb & ring finger (with or without pinkie finger) gently yet firmly grasping the birds sides which automatically pins their wings to their sides, then picking the bird up and flipping it on it's back with head elevated higher than their bum to avoid aspiration. Kick as they might, their efforts are in vain.
As for calcium intake, you can crush eggshell for your handicapped girl from small sand-like granules to pulverized into a powder and offer that either over feed or on the side. You may also wish to add a poultry mineral/vitamin supplement to her water daily to ensure she's getting enough nutrition overall and vitamin D to adequately utilize the calcium that she does manage to ingest.
Your feed store should sell a product to eliminate bleeding, but if not, it can often be found at a quality drug store in the men's shaving department. I prefer the loose powder type as opposed to the 'stick' type as I find it easier/faster to use.
Her beak is going to hurt like mad for awhile, and I wouldn't be surprised if she goes off feed for a couple of days. If she has favorite foods or treats, now is the time to break those out to encourage her to eat, moistened feed is easier to get a mouthful than dry. My quail go bonkers for grass clippings, and the bugs therein.

Thank you for all of the information @Ebony Rose! The eggshells in her feed are a great idea! She is currently eating fermented game bird feed so her feed is indeed wet.

Her beak was always wonky since hatching, my friend (the owner of Miss Quail) never realized it was an issue before these last few days as Miss Quail started looking sickly, and then she found the egg. She had found a couple of soft/broken celadon (blue) eggs before but didn't realize they were all hers until last night. She tried hand feeding her some oyster shell and found that her beak was prohibiting her from eating it (although she had previously eaten feed just fine). She watched some video tutorials and clipped the bottom beak, but apparently went a little too far. The crazy thing is the bottom beak is the same length if not a little longer than the top half but there's no way that's getting fixed.

My friend thinks that somehow Miss Quail's genetics flipped the growth patterns of the top and bottom beak (the only half that seems to continue to grow is the bottom).

Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom