US Senator Telling Brig. Gen. To call her Senator not Ma'am?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
That's what I've read in those huge "manners" books (Emily Post and whatnot).

What is so sad is that the elected official from CA had the right to dress down the General because of thousands of soldiers just like him that have laid (and are presently laying) their live's on the line so that she has the "right" to show her "authority" and "prestige". Had this been in certain other countries there's a very good chance that she would have disappeared by now. I salute the general and view the elected official with a bit of disdain.

Ed

Like I said before, since both of my grandfathers were in Korea, one a Marine,one in the Army, and my daddy was a Marine during Nam, I tend to feel like some Sen's and Rep's and other elected folks have done a lot to hurt our service men and women. Barbra Boxer is one great example. Her snide tone and pettyness were way out of line, I think.

Last edited:
This is the most replies I have ever gotten for a thread.
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Mr, Mrs or Miss may not alway be appropriate, but Ma'am and Sir are sign of respect. It would not be disrespectful to call a doctor or any other professional person sir or ma'am. When I was in the military it was considered appropriate to call a superior by rank or sir or ma'am, but sir and ma'am demonstrated a higher respect. I think the senator's arrogant attitude deserves no respect at all.

Quote:
I agree with horsejody. The senator should have just ignored it and accepted Ma'am as a sign of respect as well - probably not a bright idea to call someone out on something so minor like that IMO Sounded a little ego happy to me. Not a characteristic I like in a senator either.

Last edited:
Let me clear this up. In the military the proper protocol(and you can get a letter of reprimand for not following it) is to call superior officers(commissioned) either Ma'am or Sir. This respect is not afforded to non commissioned officers they are referred to by their rank. So you see the general was giving her more respect then she deserved.

Civilians as a general rule address superiors by their title out of respect, they are not required to call them Ma'am or Sir. The president is referred to as Mr. President by the press corp and general public, if a member of the armed forces refers to him person to person as anything other than SIR he better find another career. I served aboard NEACP the president was referred to by all aboard as Sir. Maybe it has changed since my time, trust me it was no pleasure calling President Carter 'Sir'.

He was respectful. She was snotty and rude. I grew up in CA and my step dad was retired military. Tho ma'am wasn't used much in CA it is easy to tell when it is being used respectfully. The Brig Gen did not use it in a way to refer to her as a female dog. But her response proved that is what she is.

If I were still a CA resident, The Senator's disrespect to the General would be a vote costing mistake as far as I was concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom