Utah!

Now if I plant tomatoes, zucchini and pumpkins, will they actually grow, or will they eat them to pieces before they start to grow?  I could easily plant some in there. 

Sphinx how are your girls doing?  Are they all recovered and feeling better?    On a positive note I think Penguin is starting to look like she is walking a little better, not a much limping. She is wanting to hang out more with the other chicks too, I wonder if she just hurt, and it was bugging her to play with them.  But her one wing feathers are still sticking straight up, its hilarious.  :D 

Yup anything you plant where they have access will quickly be shredded to smithereens. You would have to partition that part off until you wanted them to have access---or just plant around the perimeter like Sphinx said, then throw the mature veggies and fruit in there when you are ready to feed it to them. I have planted vine plants around the east side of mine, it worked out well last year, the pumpkin vines got tall and made some shade there for them. Plus all the chicken poop dust seemed to give it all a boost and it was really well fertilized and green. I have heard goji (wolfberry) bushes are nice for them too...have the place to get them but still not bought the bushes yet, I want to plant those on the side this year to make it look cute..I think it was birdman that had those? They look like a fun idea. :)

I am really upset about the Wheaten maran eggs. I thought we were doing ok and we checked last night and only 3 seem to have developed...2 had quit early and the rest were not even fertile. Hopefully these last few hatch.

I am trying to downsize alot of what we have but for now if anyone is interested in an aquarium for a brooder.

I have a 55 gallon tank I have been using for a brooder that I am selling for 25.00.

That is too abd about those eggs, dang! They are so pretty! I have a love hate relationship with shipped eggs. Hate mostly right now :/

ok guys I am sprung finally. 8 days is a very long stay, I still need to place my button quail and they are free if anyone wants them. I do have a very nice terrarium for them but I would have to charge for it. I also have some brooders if anyone is interested. Everyone thanks so much for all you private wishes it meant a lot. Feeling tons better but still a bit weak
Yeah! So glad to hear that your feeling better!

Yup anything you plant where they have access will quickly be shredded to smithereens. You would have to partition that part off until you wanted them to have access---or just plant around the perimeter like Sphinx said, then throw the mature veggies and fruit in there when you are ready to feed it to them. I have planted vine plants around the east side of mine, it worked out well last year, the pumpkin vines got tall and made some shade there for them. Plus all the chicken poop dust seemed to give it all a boost and it was really well fertilized and green. I have heard goji (wolfberry) bushes are nice for them too...have the place to get them but still not bought the bushes yet, I want to plant those on the side this year to make it look cute..I think it was birdman that had those? They look like a fun idea. :)
thanks everyone for the well wishes. yeah i planted goji berries this year. they are amazing food for humans too. seriously look up the health benefits for them, you will be amazed. you can even eat the leaves raw such as in a salad. the berries are packed with protein too. the bushes get nice sized so it could be a place for shade too. i would bet some broody would make a nest in one lol. my brother in law says they taste kinda like a pomagranate. you can dry them like a raisin and eat them like that or you can eat them fresh or juice them or cook with them. i have not checked if they are safe for chickens yet but if they are then that is great. better get some bushes lisa :) sillycmoy i would plant lots of pumpkins, maybe cage the main part of the plant so they can not do too much damage. the plant will provide lots of food and will cut your feed bill. also then you will have some grasshoppers and such that will be found around the plant so that is even more food. you can look at a pasture mix, just make sure all the plants in the seed mix are safe for chickens. you can plant things like oats and wheat and such but you may need to replant often. how about sunflowers? those are good cover for them and also food at the same time. i would plant some black oil ones :) i would plant tomatoes out of reach and then just toss the over ripe ones and such to them. cherry tomatoes could be a lot of fun for them too. corn could be fun too. if you have space for a apple tree it could be good because any bad apples or wind fall apples will be food to them :)

Hello everybody
frow.gif

My visits are hit and miss on here. Still so very busy with chicken runs, horse breeding, landscaping and traveling to pickup/delivery 'cluck clucks'.
th.gif

On a good note, I awoke at 5:30 AM to try and catch up on the mountain of laundry and ironing. Got about half way done until it was time to cook breakfast, breed a mare and start morning chores. For everyone who hadn't yet heard.... my incubator came Friday....
wee.gif
YAY!!! I spent the rest of the day today rearranging and sweeping out the chicken shed, cleaning the brooders and moving chicks around per size and setting up the incubator; got it going. Holding a steady heat and humidity!!!

Well, off to breed another mare this evening and do evening chores. Husband was planning on taking me to dinner and a show but way too tired (YAWN!!).

Big thanks again to Casa and Red!!
big_smile.png

Hello everybody:frow

My visits are hit and miss on here.  Still so very busy with chicken runs, horse breeding, landscaping and traveling to pickup/delivery 'cluck clucks'.:th

On a good note, I awoke at 5:30 AM to try and catch up on the mountain of laundry and ironing.  Got about half way done until it was time to cook breakfast, breed a mare and start morning chores.  For everyone who hadn't yet heard.... my incubator came Friday....:weee YAY!!!  I spent the rest of the day today rearranging and sweeping out the chicken shed, cleaning the brooders and moving chicks around per size and setting up the incubator; got it going.  Holding a steady heat and humidity!!!

Well, off to breed another mare this evening and do evening chores.  Husband was planning on taking me to dinner and a show but way too tired  (YAWN!!).

Big thanks again to Casa and Red!!:D

Thank YOU, you did all the driving girl~! And so glad my boy has a nice new home. WoW you are busy now you be sure to rest up when you can. I have you on my list of people I want to visit when I get over that way, sounds like a busy fun place! Woohoo!

K I have more boys up for grabs--a blue cuckoo marans, he is soooo pretty.....still have a half Ameraucana/ EE that is white/lavender, really pretty.
I think my last SBEL is going to be a boy. That will be hard to find a home for him...anybody? Lilwanis, I know you are saying "no way"! lol A lot of those turned out to be boys this year. Cynthia stole all the girly vibes, last year she hatched a ton of females in the SBEL's. hehe...

Off to KSL with that one I am afraid. How about all this rain? Goodness it was a lot up here in the north end. I dumped inches out of everything that holds water outside, I wonder how much we really got? Now, for some sunshine! Hope you all had a good weekend dsepite the rain!!

thanks everyone for the well wishes. yeah i planted goji berries this year. they are amazing food for humans too. seriously look up the health benefits for them, you will be amazed. you can even eat the leaves raw such as in a salad. the berries are packed with protein too. the bushes get nice sized so it could be a place for shade too. i would bet some broody would make a nest in one lol. my brother in law says they taste kinda like a pomagranate. you can dry them like a raisin and eat them like that or you can eat them fresh or juice them or cook with them. i have not checked if they are safe for chickens yet but if they are then that is great. better get some bushes lisa :) sillycmoy i would plant lots of pumpkins, maybe cage the main part of the plant so they can not do too much damage. the plant will provide lots of food and will cut your feed bill. also then you will have some grasshoppers and such that will be found around the plant so that is even more food. you can look at a pasture mix, just make sure all the plants in the seed mix are safe for chickens. you can plant things like oats and wheat and such but you may need to replant often. how about sunflowers? those are good cover for them and also food at the same time. i would plant some black oil ones :) i would plant tomatoes out of reach and then just toss the over ripe ones and such to them. cherry tomatoes could be a lot of fun for them too. corn could be fun too. if you have space for a apple tree it could be good because any bad apples or wind fall apples will be food to them :)

I am definitely getting some. There is a place here that sells them, some little zen garden-ey place on the west side, just have to find a sunny day to get them in the ground! I read up on them when you posted before, I am excited to try them out :thumbsup

Brad, take care of yourself and don't start working too soon! Glad you got yourself taken care of. :) Love the sound of your new run!

Sundancen, welcome back! I'm so happy you're feeling better!

BluJems, I'm so so sorry about your eggs. I've had rough luck with shipped chicken eggs this year. It's driving me crazy! I had one super good hatch with D'uccles, wiht 5 out of 7 hatching. Everything else has been horrible. My 2nd batch of 16 bantam Ameraucana eggs....only 4 were fertile, and last night I just threw away 3 of those because they had blood rings. Ugh! Down to ONE egg.
I've been setting a lot of my own eggs...finally set some of my bantam wheaten Ameraucana eggs, fertilized by Clay. So they will be bantam EEs. They are all doing very well and I can't wait to see how they hatch out!
I've set a bunch of Serama eggs...I have the black rooster with 3 black hens and a chocolate hen. Those eggs have about a 75% fertility rate so far. The white roo is with a white hen and a white and chocolate speckled hen. I *think* only the speckled hen is laying...and I caught the white hen finishing off an egg today!
somad.gif
All of the eggs I've set so far from this trio...NONE have been fertile. I get maybe 3 eggs each week from this trio...so I'm wondering...is the roo shooting blanks or are the hens old or both? If a hen is laying, does that mean her eggs are viable for babies? Questions, questions, questions! :)

BTW, that bantam Ameraucana chick I asked about the other day....looking very much like a cockerel today. Getting much bigger than its sibling, and the comb is even brighter and wider. But still has that female coloration. So interesting!

Wow, a lot of great ideas Brad on what to plant for the chickens. I just told my DH that I wanted to plant pumpkin this year, and now two of you have mentioned corn. Now to find the perfect place for them.

Oh sundance, I am so happy that you are out. Now take care. Don't you dare end up in there again because you aren't letting your DH do most everything. That's how it works for now, ya hear! :D

Well, my sweet little Golden Retriever got one of my OE's today. Of course it was the one that I had just decided yesterday that I would keep out of two that I was trying to decide on. I went out, and when the two young pullets didn't show up, I went looking under the coop, nope, then, my heart sank as I just knew where to look next. There was Missy laying there with a bird in front of her. I ran into her area and the bird was still alive. Very much alive. Took her into the house to baby her. But, she didn't last long. I'm sure Missy must have clamped down on her pretty hard. Only saw one puncture wound, and it wasn't even deep, but she must have bitten hard on top of the feathers. Pretty discouraging, but I do have two out there that will be laying soon. Well, one is pure black with muffs..darling..and the other that I thought about selling is a barred. The one the dog got was my blue partridge. :( She was the friendliest too. I know how she got over there. I had clipped their wings, but they can fit through either side of the gate to the dogs area. I really didn't think they would. Sadness. :(

Sphinx, my eggs are coming from BeggarticksFarm. I also got some light Brahmas from them..they are already in the bator, and the air sacs are looking good, so I am hoping the BLRW eggs will look as good. I got a note from them today about the light Brahmas..I couldn't believe what I was reading. Don't get this often, but they said that they just had a not so good hatch, and to let them know how my eggs are looking, if not good, then let them know, and they will ship me more eggs or chicks! They said they are trading hens around to see if this helps. Pretty nice of them.

Back
Top Bottom