Utah!

So, how far are you from I-15? I might need to adjust plans.
Sara... I'm in Duchesne.. Corvidae is in Bountiful, but has property in Duchesne...lol. You may want to look through my assortments of purebreds to make the trip a little more worth your while. Think you were looking for BCM which I don't have, but have some others you may be interested in.
big_smile.png
. Let me know. Have some Barred Holland chicks the same age which lay a large white egg and look like the Dominiques. There is a Barred Holland thread here on BYC if you wish to peruse it for info.

What is everyone doing for their birds during this heat wave? I go out and put fresh water in their bowls a couple of times a day. I did spray them yesterday, and probably will again a few times this week. It's going to get hot out there for them. I gave them some grapes yesterday..they didn't know what to think of them at first, but it didn't take them long, and they were going crazy over them. Nice and cool treat. Time to get some water melon. Oh what we do for our feathered friends. :)
I got a mister kit this year, and we ran it over the shrubs they like to sit under. I'm hoping that, along with frequent hose showers, and keeping the ground damp, will be enough, especially this weekend when we're supposed to hit 115 :(

We had Misters along one side of the run roof, but we took them down last summer because they made such a mud hole (and it would smell bad!) when we ran them throughout the day, and their food got mushy. Really wanted them then I decided I hated them
sad.png
Yeah, mud isn't really a problem here. I turn the mister off, and it's bone dry within a few hours. I'm only having it on when the sun's full on their run.

its 110 out today. :th way to hot. freezing fruit for the girls is always smart. i like to go to the mexican markets and get watermelon for cheap, i may pay 3 dollars for a nice size one and often will trade my extra eggs to my grandpa for a watermelon and then i just cut it in half and freeze to give to the girls. grapes are also great or peas. mister systems are also great, i need a new one of them. putting up some shade cloth is good. or ice in their water. am i the only one that has thought about getting the girls a ac for the coop?:gig

Yeah, mud isn't really a problem here. I turn the mister off, and it's bone dry within a few hours. I'm only having it on when the sun's full on their run.

That is a good idea! My run is covered, then the mud happens pretty easy it is swampy high ground water here :( I should put them around my patio instead lol~! Putting it over grassy areas where they can hang out would work.

So far so good today, they are sitting under the coop, and have dug some nice damp holes under there that they are sitting in. My therm only says it is 94 right now though.

its 110 out today.
th.gif
way to hot. freezing fruit for the girls is always smart. i like to go to the mexican markets and get watermelon for cheap, i may pay 3 dollars for a nice size one and often will trade my extra eggs to my grandpa for a watermelon and then i just cut it in half and freeze to give to the girls. grapes are also great or peas. mister systems are also great, i need a new one of them. putting up some shade cloth is good. or ice in their water. am i the only one that has thought about getting the girls a ac for the coop?
gig.gif

Oh, I didn't think about going to the Mexican market..didn't know that the fruit was that cheap. I did go to the stands last year and get free older fruit that they didn't want to sell. The chickens didn't mind at all that it was a bit old.

I have ac in my coop Brad, you mean you don't???! ~ ok, so I'm kidding. ~ Wish I wasn't. he he. I have done the ice water, and think I will, as we will be hitting 102 or 103 this week. I have already sprayed my girls today, they were just standing there with their wings drooped, and they were panting. :/
It's going to be real hot until next Wed, then we drop back into the 80's..we are going to freeze!

That is a good idea! My run is covered, then the mud happens pretty easy it is swampy high ground water here
sad.png
I should put them around my patio instead lol~! Putting it over grassy areas where they can hang out would work.

So far so good today, they are sitting under the coop, and have dug some nice damp holes under there that they are sitting in. My therm only says it is 94 right now though.

I was seriously tempted to steal it away from them when I was cooking on the grill outside, let me tell you! But I'll be good and buy one for myself LOL

Dumb question ahead.... how do I best transport eggs for my broody Pepper back home during a 4 hour trip? A hot water bottle to keep them warm? I honestly have no clue on this.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom