Vacation Chickens! (pic heavy)

Flyingbavarian

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Central Oklahoma
Here are some chickens from vacations we've taken.

These are all Key West Chickens taken last year in Key West of course.
13350_100_1530.jpg

13350_100_1515.jpg

13350_100_1500.jpg

13350_100_1526.jpg

13350_100_1497.jpg

13350_100_1524.jpg

13350_100_1509.jpg

13350_100_1522.jpg

We took a cruise 2 years ago and these are from Half Moon Cay a 2400 acre island owned by holland america cruise lines.
Only 15 people live on the island full time and the chickens were very friendly i guess all the food the tourist's give out. Momma hen was scratching
up some food for her chicks im not quite sure what she was after but she had a deep hole in the sand going lol.
13350_100_0995.jpg

13350_100_0985.jpg

13350_100_1000.jpg

13350_100_0992.jpg

This was from the same cruise but in Aruba. We saw more but they were very feral this guy was the only one i could even get half way close enough to take a pic
I think he was preoccupied taking a dirt bath. He was really striking but wild as could be.
13350_100_1006.jpg

I would love to see some chicken pics from vacations you've taken.

Mrs. Cannon :

These pictures are fantastic:thumbsup

I would love to travel to a place where they had Feral chickens!

Dont know where you live but I have been to Oviedo FL. The town has lots of feral chickens.

From wikipedia

"Oviedo is known for a population of chickens that roam the downtown area. There are so many of them roaming the area that often traffic stops as they cross the roads. The chickens have been featured on Oviedo t-shirts and coffee mugs and a poster commemorating one of Oviedo's yearly festivals, "A Taste of Oviedo".

Contrary to what some believe, there are no specific laws or statutes surrounding the chickens, neither for their protection nor for their removal - the latter being something some residents would like to see due to the danger they pose with traffic in the congested town center. For others, however, the chickens add an element of fun, eating at the adjacent Townhouse restaurant, another trademark of Oviedo, and provide Oviedo with a uniqueness that can be boasted by no other neighboring town."​

I saw a show on A&E about chickens in Miami fl. and the volunteers that try to catch them. I can't remember what it was called though but pretty sure it was on A&E last year some time.

I'll be getting married in Key West next Month...so I'll be able to take some free ranging chicks pics myself!! Woohoo, even more excited now!!!

We recently went to Kauai (An island of Hawaii) and they have chickens EVERYWHERE. At beaches, in the forests, on mountains, it seemed like they were the true inhabitants of the island!
Also, so many Mamas had little flocks of babies that had just hatched! It completely made my trip!
woot.gif

When I went to the Dominican Republic this past July on a Mission Trip with my Youth Group I saw LOADS of free - ranging chickens down there. Over 15 or more broody hens with their babies. Average number of chicks each hen had was 6.
smile.png
My pictures hardly came out really good.

Once one of the balls we were playing with landed in some bushes. I went after it and nearly had my eyes pecked out by a angry broody with chicks.
hide.gif
I started running with the ball with that hen hot on my heels! Her chicks were peeping in encouragement to her.
roll.png
Every single kid, adults, my friends, & the chaperones started laughing at me. That hen finally gave up after she chased me halfway across the field.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom