Ventilation

That link you sent RonP was very useful indeed. I think I need to increase the ventilation now!!! Thank you so much.
big_smile.png

Excellent, glad it helped.

That article is very well written.

I wanted to jump in on this thread and ask a question. I hijacked this photo from google images but it shows what my coop looks like. Do you think having these openings along the top two sides (where the walls meet the roof) of the coop will be sufficient airflow/ventilation. I haven't got my chicks yet still setting up the coop/run. Do I need to add more ventilation?

I wanted to jump in on this thread and ask a question. I hijacked this photo from google images but it shows what my coop looks like. Do you think having these openings along the top two sides (where the walls meet the roof) of the coop will be sufficient airflow/ventilation. I haven't got my chicks yet still setting up the coop/run. Do I need to add more ventilation?

It should help...I hope that hardware cloth is well attached...but more than just that is needed.
I assume this is a peaked roof, should have some large vents in the gables too......as well as some windows.

I have the same.

This ventilation should be well above the roosts which is good.

Also draft free.

Do the math.

My "openings" are ~ 3" high x 16' long (192 inches) = 576 square inches / 144 = 4 square feet of ventilation per side x 2 sides = around 8 square feet.

That's good for around 8 full sized birds.

I have around a dozen birds and 17 square feet of draft free ventilation.

Those "vents" were a good start.

I have the same.

This ventilation should be well above the roosts which is good.

Also draft free.

Do the math.

My "openings" are ~ 3" high x 16' long (192 inches) = 576 square inches / 144 = 4 square feet of ventilation per side x 2 sides = around 8 square feet.

That's good for around 8 full sized birds.

I have around a dozen birds and 17 square feet of draft free ventilation.

Those "vents" were a good start.

Ok thank you this is exactly what I needed to know. I will have to measure it all out but I think I will need to add more. We are getting 15 chicks. Thank you so much for your response.

It should help...I hope that hardware cloth is well attached...but more than just that is needed.
I assume this is a peaked roof, should have some large vents in the gables too......as well as some windows.

I stole this picture off the internet. It looks a lot like mine and what I had planned as fas as using the hardware cloth in there. Actually in my coop I have not even added our hardware cloth there because we haven't ordered it yet. Still shopping for a good deal. I planned to just use a staple gun to get it on snug. We are using a coop that was made by the people who lived here before. It has windows that were made of plexiglass that werejust nailed on and do not open. I was going to keep those and save money on new windows but maybe I might get at least one window that opens and maybe I can add some large holes in the gables like you said and add hardware cloth over them too. Thank you for response. I haven't ever had chickens and I have been reading as much as I can but its a lot of information and nice to ask people for help. :)

Quote: A pneumatic staple gun with 3/4" to 1" staples would probably work good....but not a manual staple gun.
Screws and washers are the best attachment option IMO. Make sure all edges are firmly secured, if a raccoon can get it's paws(or another animal get it's teeth) under an edge it can tear that stuff.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom