Vertical PVC feeders

TomRussell

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2020
Hey everybody.
I watched a you tube video showing how to make a vertical feeder. I decided to use 3” pvc because I had some around.

What “fitting” should I use?

I tried it with a Sanitary T. Dumb idea Didn’t work.
So i went back to the store. I thought I might try a clean out. But it didn’t quite look right.

what do you all recommend?

TIA

I'd put a 90 on the bottom then a 45 (like a 45 sewer drain.)

Sadly it's to humid where I live and it can't use one of those cause the food gets moldy or stuck or both. But i do like the concept!

Sadly it's to humid where I live and it can't use one of those cause the food gets moldy or stuck or both. But i do like the concept!

Hmmm I live in central Florida. Humidity Central.

So I’m gonna try it anyway.
We’ll see how it goes.

I used a 4" PVC and a cap on the top but it doesn't have a fitting. I put a guinea pig litter angle container at the end that the feed flows into. The flock does scratch feed out but they always clean up the floor.

I have high humidity, my yard borders a small piece of swamp. I have one that works fine, then I bought new food that was more powder than crumble and it got stuck, I swapped to pellets and it works fine. I find a bit of DE mixed in helps it stay dry and moving well also.

I have high humidity, my yard borders a small piece of swamp. I have one that works fine, then I bought new food that was more powder than crumble and it got stuck, I swapped to pellets and it works fine. I find a bit of DE mixed in helps it stay dry and moving well also.
I have crumble and on vacation and it’s getting stuck on the person watching over the chickens. Just told her to dump feed in a pan until I get home. Didn’t think about pellets working possibly better.

i use a 6" PVC pipe then a 6" to 4" reducer on the bottom then a 4" 90° bend then a 4" straight with holes drilled in the top and a cap on both ends.

hope that makes sense :)

wish i had a picture i could post to help explain

I have crumble and on vacation and it’s getting stuck on the person watching over the chickens. Just told her to dump feed in a pan until I get home. Didn’t think about pellets working possibly better.
I have crumble for my chicks and it works fine in the vertical feeder, but it is not as powdery as the other I bought. The one that gets stuck and is all powder was called Homestead Harvest, the birds also hated it.

Back
Top Bottom