Very sick orpington - Kidney failure? Please advise!

Debbie, the miracle chicken, is still with us this morning. Her determination amazes me. Our current issue ... we can't figure out where to give her injection. She has no muscle tissue. I was instructed yesterday, but now that I'm home, it's just not clicking. Off to find some help ...
I’m so glad to hear this! Sounds like she is turning this around.
Rereading you vet instructions it sounds like the antibiotics need to go into the muscle. The breast area is a huge muscle mass even if she has lost weight. Give it there. Or the thigh but you risk hitting large veins and arteries. If you have a nurse friend they can help teach you.

Thank you all for your suggestions and concern. After calling five local vets who wouldn't see chickens, I called the Hattiesburg Vet Clinic (the avian vet) to talk to them about my problem. The on-call veterinarian (who is not the avian vet) said if I could be there by noon, she could give me a tutorial. So, off I went with Debbie in tow! Two hours later, we were there.

After feeling the lack of breast tissue, the on-call vet was also stumped about where to give the injection. She called the avian vet. He instructed her and we pressed on. An assistant held Debbie like a baby with her stomach exposed and head up ... at about a 45 degree angle. The veterinarian sprayed the area surrounding her keel bone (below the crop) with a water bottle. She was able to separate the feathers to find the skin. She then injected the medication right beside the keel bone at a slight angle into the small bit of muscle that was there.

Now for the fun part ... she said, "It's your turn." She put a small bit of saline in the syringe and told me to "go for it." For easier penetration, she instructed me to angle the needle so that the longer end of the tip was closer to her skin. Although I didn't want to stick Debbie again (she didn't seem to mind too much) and I thought I might faint, I forced myself to do it. And, guess what??? I DID IT!!! Twice!!! Poor Debbie, although I think she actually slept through some of it.

My husband and I will do this on our own later tonight. Wish us luck!! Oh, I have been driving ALL day ... and making multiple stops to feed myself and Debbie. I'm tired. I'll post pictures of the insertion site tomorrow. This may be helpful to squeamish novices like me who need to give a skinny chicken a shot.

#TeamDebbie

I LOVE this thread. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm SO happy that you have such an amazing vet, but I am jealous! We need some amazing avian vets in NC (I've only had experience with one avian vet and that left me feeling nauseated and frustrated - and broke)! I am so happy Debbie is still fighting. You are amazing and she's lucky to have you. I'll be over here cheering her on and praying for all of you!

Keep up the good fight Debbie! You are so loved!

That's encouraging to hear that they can pull through ... even at the threshold of no return. That's where we were today. Her appetite has picked back up. She loves the bird formula and she is drinking well. Yes, if bshe refuses to eat, he instructed me on tube feeding.

He didn't give fluids today. I guess because she is drinking well?? She is warm and cozy sleeping under her heat lamp right now. I have a thermometer tracking the temp. I'll update again tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement!

Ugh. This open mouth breathing. It concerns me so much. I guess it's just part of not feeling well. Thoughts?
I LOVE this thread. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm SO happy that you have such an amazing vet, but I am jealous! We need some amazing avian vets in NC (I've only had experience with one avian vet and that left me feeling nauseated and frustrated - and broke)! I am so happy Debbie is still fighting. You are amazing and she's lucky to have you. I'll be over here cheering her on and praying for all of you!

Keep up the good fight Debbie! You are so loved!
Thanks so much! I'm encouraged that Debbie is eating so much of the Kaytee Exact bird formula, but this open mouth breathing and diarrhea are worrisome. She can't even sleep. Maybe good nutrition will give her the boost she needs. Pressing on ...

I’m to new to chickens to give any advise but wanted you to know I’m pulling for you and Debbie. She has an amazing “mother”❤️
This is very nice. I'm also new to chickens and unable to give much advice. We've only had ours since April. I'm certainly learning a lot each day. I'm so grateful for this group.

Back
Top Bottom