Very sick Silkie Roo

Miriahb

Chirping
Jul 24, 2015
Batesville, AR
I've had to quarantine a white silkie rooster that I recently purchased. His glands along his beak are swollen to the point that his eyes could barely open, he has raspy breathing and thick yellow mucus was dripping out of his nostrils and bubbles in his eyes. I did start him on antibiotics in his water which has helped the swelling. He has also started eating again (he had stopped, but started again after I began dosing him with antibiotics) and isn't as listless. But, his breathing is not much better.

I don't want to put him down as he is super sweet, but I don't want him to suffer either. I don't know what he is sick with other than what looks to be a sinus/respiratory infection.

Help please!

I'm not sure how much help I can be sadly. But I wanted to let you know if his illness is a viral illness antibotics won't kill the virus. However, they CAN keep a secondary infection from coming which will often accompany a viral illness. As for the virus itself his own body will have to fight It.If it's a viral illness. hope this is a little help.

I've been doing research and I think it might be Coryza. If so, I'm hoping the the antibiotics do their job. They're a broad spectrum type and his swelling has gone down. I've been washing his poor face every day to get the gunkiness off and though he's not fond of me doing it, it helps open his eyes back up.

I'm not sure how long I'll have to isolate him, though, because he's definitely still raspy and swollen.

Respiratory illnesses in chickens can be tricky. It depends on what they have. Do you see anyone else showing bubbly eyes, discharge, or swelling?

Does he have a sickly smell about his head? Coryza has a distinct odor, and you KNOW it when you smell it.

What antibiotic are you using and what dosage?

If he isn't drinking, you may have to tube liquid to him to help him through. It's more important that he's hydrated than fed.

**IF IT IS CORYZA**

Please be aware that this disease is carried for life, even if the bird recovers. They can infect current flock members without showing any symptoms and any new birds you add to your flock. You may possibly have to go through this treatment with every single bird you keep. You should never give/sell chickens from your flock to any one else, as you run the risk of exposing the other person's birds to the illness.

Only you can make the right decision for your individual birds and your flock as a whole. I am sorry this happened. :(

MrsB

Respiratory illnesses in chickens can be tricky. It depends on what they have. Do you see anyone else showing bubbly eyes, discharge, or swelling?

Does he have a sickly smell about his head? Coryza has a distinct odor, and you KNOW it when you smell it.

What antibiotic are you using and what dosage?

If he isn't drinking, you may have to tube liquid to him to help him through. It's more important that he's hydrated than fed.

**IF IT IS CORYZA**

Please be aware that this disease is carried for life, even if the bird recovers. They can infect current flock members without showing any symptoms and any new birds you add to your flock. You may possibly have to go through this treatment with every single bird you keep. You should never give/sell chickens from your flock to any one else, as you run the risk of exposing the other person's birds to the illness.

Only you can make the right decision for your individual birds and your flock as a whole. I am sorry this happened. :(

MrsB

There is no smell to him besides the regular chicken smell. None of the other chickens are showing any signs of sickness at all and I've been checking!

It's just mainly gunk dropping out of his nose and bubbly eyes

Did you vet take a swab or do any kind of lab work on the discharge? With no odor, I really doubt it's Coryza. Trust me. You'd know it. It's putrid and vile smelling.

If he's having trouble breathing, it sounds like Chronic Respiratory Disease... It could be conjunctivitis, which is most commonly associated with Infectious Bronchitis or Infectious Laryngotracheitis.

Keep on with the Duramycin, since that's what the vet gave you... But I would start adding Neosporin (over-the-counter) directly in his eye twice a day. Rinse with saline solution, give him a few drips with a syringe, then rub a blob in there... Get the kind *without* pain relief in this case.

I hope your guy makes a full recovery.

MrsB

Did you vet take a swab or do any kind of lab work on the discharge? With no odor, I really doubt it's Coryza. Trust me. You'd know it. It's putrid and vile smelling.

If he's having trouble breathing, it sounds like Chronic Respiratory Disease... It could be conjunctivitis, which is most commonly associated with Infectious Bronchitis or Infectious Laryngotracheitis.

Keep on with the Duramycin, since that's what the vet gave you... But I would start adding Neosporin (over-the-counter) directly in his eye twice a day. Rinse with saline solution, give him a few drips with a syringe, then rub a blob in there... Get the kind *without* pain relief in this case.

I hope your guy makes a full recovery.

MrsB

The vet looked at pictures I sent and asked questions. She usually just works on the dogs we have on our rescue not on poultry. I'm hoping he gets better, but I got home today and he's worse
1f622.png

The swelling is down but he's still leaking a great deal of gunk.

Yuck Pictures ahead...

This is after I washed off his face. The swelling and the lump are definitely down, I just am frustrated because I don't know what's wrong with him and his raspy sounds worse.

Back
Top Bottom