Very sudden chicken death

kookieoboe56

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 10, 2016
This am we let the seven hens out. My spouse said they all ran out, no signs of lethargy at all. 1 hour later one of the reds was dead. There are no signs of entry into the run and the other hens seem fine. What are some of the causes of such a sudden death? She was about 1 week shy of being 1 year old.
Are there symptoms or signs in the other birds that I should now be watching for?
Happyhens16

Last edited:
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know the cause of death without necropsy/testing. If you still have her body, then you can send her to your state lab, or if you are up to it, you could investigate yourself.

Chickens can just up an die for many reasons, they are very good at hiding illness or she could have had a heart attack/stroke or some type of reproductive disorder.

http://vet.uga.edu/oldvpp/programs/afvet/attachments/how_to_necropsy_a_bird.pdf

Thanks for your kind words. She had been sick as a very young chick. We had thought we nursed her back to health with antibiotics, but perhaps this had some effect. Don't think we will be doing the necropsy, but if we lose another suddenly, we most certainly will.

Back
Top Bottom