Very unusual chick, Guinea / chicken hybrid!!

Today our eggs that we thought were guinea eggs hatched. A very small bantam hen brooded the nest for us and we had removed all of the eggs she had laid. We are not sure what came out of the eggs. The guinea hen was white. She had been hanging around out there with a black silkie rooster. Three babies are white with little black spots, two are off white with redish stripes like guineas on their backs. They all have silkie feet. We only have two white chicken hens one is the bantam that sat the nest(and they were not here eggs) and the other does not leave the chicken yard. I do not know why she would breed with the rooster since we have guineas running around. At what point do you know if the babies are viable. I have heard the hybrids can die.

Any updates?

Having a hard time sexing our guineas

We have a white, a pearl pied a pearl and a white with a few black spots. We either have 2 females and two males or I thought three females and one male based in their voices. I swear we are getting 4-5 eggs a day from them though and we only have 4. I think we would like to try some guin-hen hybrids out. I love the EE hybrid look. We also have Orpingtons, silkies, ee, cream legbars(anyone know if the blue egg gene would pass?) And a few other breeds. As well as several growing out.

I wonder what a black split to chocolate and mottled English Orp hybrid would look like.... Btw I love love the double leaving on one of the hybrids in this thread.

While I do think these birds are enchanting I have also heard they are delicious.

Is it true that you can hybridize a chicken and a coturnix quail?

ep.gif

wow! that's cool, I didn't know they could hybridize

I call it a he but I don't know for sure :p He is now 5 days old, and such a little fatty! LOVES his mealworms and shredded greens! This thing seriously doesn't stop eating
hide.gif
I think that is a guinea trait. My little guys are Always eating. They run each other over to get to food. I was worrying at first that they werent getting fed enough. But they are growing so fast I guess thats why. Your little guy/girl is adorable. I am integrating my keets with my chickens and am sort of hoping for a hybrid. I wouldnt be mad if they had a few. Integrating is going to have to go into high speed though as the babies busted out their brooder light horsing around this eve. and I don't have gas or money to get back to town tonight to replace it. Have one in the big kid coop so will have to stuff everyone in together and pray it works. Big guys on perch/ little guys on floor on hay. coop is smallish though for 20 birds. Dimensions are about 5 ft tall by 4 ft x 4 ft or so. Holding my breath.

I think that is a guinea trait. My little guys are Always eating. They run each other over to get to food. I was worrying at first that they werent getting fed enough. But they are growing so fast I guess thats why. Your little guy/girl is adorable. I am integrating my keets with my chickens and am sort of hoping for a hybrid. I wouldnt be mad if they had a few. Integrating is going to have to go into high speed though as the babies busted out their brooder light horsing around this eve. and I don't have gas or money to get back to town tonight to replace it. Have one in the big kid coop so will have to stuff everyone in together and pray it works. Big guys on perch/ little guys on floor on hay. coop is smallish though for 20 birds. Dimensions are about 5 ft tall by 4 ft x 4 ft or so. Holding my breath.
I have had guineas and chickens together for years and never bred a hybrid, mind you I didn't hatch every egg laid either. How did they go with the move?

Great news! I have a second hybrid hatched and a 3rd on it's way! The second one is a pied!

Way cool! NEED pictures of course. ;)

I do have a question- how are you sure the chicks are hybrids? Not making you defensive just questioning.

There's a long thread from days past on Miracle, a hybrid with beard and muffs and the most beautiful feather pattern.

Haha! Non conformists rule!
thumbsup.gif
I did toss a white guinea in with a black skinned naked neck rooster carrying recessive white.. the idea was to see if the black skin would show in hybrids and also to see if the guinea white and chicken recessive white would interact... But he did not see her as a sexy thing at all, drats!

Never got hybrids despite peafowl, chickens, guineas and various pheasants running together at various times over the years.. always hoped it would happen but alas. The only hybrids I can remember seeing in person were pheasant x chukar.. they looked so odd.. like stretched out chukars with strange colors. That was not planned yet the owner ended up with like 10 of them. Some people have all the luck, ha!

I know it really can happen, just have learned to keep a slight bit of 'hmm.... I wonder' after seeing several cases of alleged hybrids turn out not to be hybrids. So if it were a case of one rooster and guinea hen isolated it'd be pretty good but if from free range and mixed......

btw your pieds are gorgeous! Really like that solid white winged look.
Have you ever done AI? I've recently learnt how to do it and it's much easier than I expected! Helps a lot if your roosters are tame or semi tame.

I had the parents penned separately for 3 months prior to the first eggs being laid, they have no combs and sound very different too! Funny the first hybrid sounds much more chicken like and this second one sounds almost like a keet!

I'm hoping to breed pure whites one day as we have none in Australia, a lot of claims but none ever show themselves.

Back
Top Bottom