Very watery chick poops

ashlynne87

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
We picked up 8 chicks from TSC on Wednesday. Yesterday they started with loud chirping and some watery stools. Attached is a picture of some of their stools underneath the brooder plate. Any suggestions? They all seem to be eating and drinking well and are very active birds.
IMG_1530.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg
IMG_1532.jpeg

Last edited:
What're you feeding them? If they're running around and still eating, then I'd say it's fine!

Welcome to BYC.

Poultry kind of have their poo and pee come out at the same time, since there aren't separate holes. Those look normal to me. I would worry if no solids come out, or if you notice a bunch that look un-digested.

What're you feeding them? If they're running around and still eating, then I'd say it's fine!
I am feeding them Nature’s Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower Crumbles. I had been doing the Sav-a-Chick electrolytes in their nipple feeder and fresh water in the quail waterer, but just removed the electrolytes this morning. A few of them are some tiny pieces of pine shavings when I added some in for them to explore so I threw in some chick grit.
Welcome to BYC.

Poultry kind of have their poo and pee come out at the same time, since there aren't separate holes. Those look normal to me. I would worry if no solids come out, or if you notice a bunch that look un-digested.
Thank you! This is a whole new ballgame for me and I’m such a worried first time chicken mama. Is the amount of liquid around the poop normal? I guess in my head I pictured it being less “watery” and more solid.

I think the paper towels are making them look more watery since they will wick the moisture outwards. If you see one with, basically, and explosion of water coming out of them, especially without solids, that is something you would need to engage with.

Yeah, it is normal to feel that way. It will go away with time. ☺️

I am feeding them Nature’s Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower Crumbles. I had been doing the Sav-a-Chick electrolytes in their nipple feeder and fresh water in the quail waterer, but just removed the electrolytes this morning. A few of them are some tiny pieces of pine shavings when I added some in for them to explore so I threw in some chick grit.

Thank you! This is a whole new ballgame for me and I’m such a worried first time chicken mama. Is the amount of liquid around the poop normal? I guess in my head I pictured it being less “watery” and more solid.
It looks to be normal to me!

Thanks y’all! I really appreciate all the help/input. I wish there were more threads with pictures of baby chick poop like there are adult chicken poop 😂

Back
Top Bottom