Very weak 2 day old chick ordered online

Jewelschick

Chirping
Sep 20, 2022
Whitesboro, TX
Yesterday I received an online shipment of 15 chicks. 4 were DOA and 2 were struggling. One has perked up nicely but the other is still very weak. I actually thought she was dead along with the others and am amazed she has lived 24 hrs. At one point this morning she had clear snot coming from her nose but I don’t see that now. I gave her a few drops of Tylan 50 and I’m trying to get her to eat a little egg yolk mixed with nutradrinch. Any other ideas? She’s warm and quarantined with the other weak chick.

Attachments

• 01CE5A64-E03A-46F6-A362-77037B097E00.jpeg
    01CE5A64-E03A-46F6-A362-77037B097E00.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 21
I gave her a few drops of Tylan 50 and I’m trying to get her to eat a little egg yolk mixed with nutradrinch.
Skip the Tylan as it won't do anything to help shipping stress and antibiotics kill good bacteria too.. (Are these from a hatchery or other source) and put nutridrench drop just below the nostrils and the chick will swallow when it rolls around into the beak. Hold the chick in your hand with beak facing your forefinger and use the bend to help direct the drop and beak together.

Keep doing this every 15 minutes to half hour until you see improvement.

Also be SURE the butt stays clear as pasty butt is deadly fast.

Hope they perk up and recover quickly! :fl

Can you get a dropper and try to get it to eat? Alternative between sweetened water and the raw yolk. She needs energy.

If you put a drop on the end of her beak and watch her take it and then do it again. Go as slow as she needs so she doesn't aspirate.

Can you get a dropper and try to get it to eat? Alternative between sweetened water and the raw yolk. She needs energy.

If you put a drop on the end of her beak and watch her take it and then do it again. Go as slow as she needs so she doesn't aspirate.
Yes, that’s what I have been doing. I actually put a dew drops of my finger and she ate it that way.

Which hatchery did you order from?

It is extremely easy to force a drop of liquid down the wrong pipe of a chick's mouth..
One drop down the wrong pipe will kill it.

Nutri-Drench is the best thing for situations like this.

How did it turn out? I just got my two day olds today in the mail (19) and about two-one specifically-seem extremely lethargic like you described. Did anything you did help? I’ve only tried dipping it’s beak into the electrolyte water so far. Thinking about taking it out and trying to give it some egg yolk like I’ve read you and others do? Is separating them necessary?

How did it turn out? I just got my two day olds today in the mail (19) and about two-one specifically-seem extremely lethargic like you described. Did anything you did help? I’ve only tried dipping it’s beak into the electrolyte water so far. Thinking about taking it out and trying to give it some egg yolk like I’ve read you and others do? Is separating them necessary?
Yes I would separate them because they can get trampled. Mine recovered nicely and were put back with the other chicks after 3 days. I did egg yolk in a dropper and also added the vitamin water to some chick starter with some yolk. They seemed to be able to eat the food wet better than dry. Hope this helps!

Which hatchery did you order from?

It is extremely easy to force a drop of liquid down the wrong pipe of a chick's mouth..
One drop down the wrong pipe will kill it.

Nutri-Drench is the best thing for situations like this.
Meyers hatchery. She recovered nicely.

Back
Top Bottom