Very worried!!!!

em530

Songster
8 Years
Oct 13, 2014

I have just been out to check the chickens and noticed this poo!!! It looks bloody and I have no idea what to do next or even which chicken it is!! I have picked up all 4 and inspected their rear ends but all look clean and not bloody, all chickens are bright and active also eating and drinking, any suggestions??

That has some blood in it, so I would get some Corid and treat for possible coccidiosis. Corid I is found in the cattle med section of feed stores, and is pretty harmless, but I would get it now. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days, followed by probiotics and several days of vitamins. How old are they? It can be common in chickens under 20 weeks who are developing immunity to cocci.

Last edited:
That definitely has some blood in it. How old are your chickens? It may just be some shed intestinal lining, which is nothing to worry about unless it occurs often (sign of digestive tract irritation). Or, it may be a sign that your chickens have Coccidiosis.

Coccidiosis is a protozoan infection of the digestive tract. It causes unthriftiness, diahrrea, sometimes bloody droppings, and eventually, death in birds. Coccidiosis is most common in young birds under 7 months of age, but it can occur in any age of bird. Fortunately, it is easy to treat if caught early enough.

The best treatment for Coccidiosis is Corid, which can usually be purchased from any local livestock supply store (Tractor Supply, etc.). It comes in both a powdered and liquid form. The dosages are different for each form, but each is meant to be given through water. To rule out Coccidiosis in your hens, I would consider purchasing some Corid and treating them with it for 5-7 days.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply! My chickens ages range from 18 weeks to approx 6 months, I will try and get some corid

Ok I have found somewhere that sells it and will be picking some up this afternoon hopefully that will do the trick, thanks for the help :)

You're welcome, I hope it helps. Some people use a little buttermilk and feed to help coat the GI tract to slow down cocci symptoms, until you can get Corid.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom