Vet is Stumped: Very Sick Runner Duck Advice Needed ASAP

Thank you all so much for your advice and thoughts. We are having a tough time with this one. 😭
I am incredibly sorry for your loss. They are so special, and she sounds like just the sweetest girl. May she rest in peace, and I am praying that Cornell can give you answers as to why this was so sudden. Sending all of my love to you and your family ❤️

We heard from the vet today with autopsy results. Once I have the full report I’ll post it. Maybe someone can help us sort out what happened. It seems like she had a lot going on and the vet doesn’t know what started the process. She had some type of necrotizing bacterial infection of her GI tract. She also had what was described as egg yolks free floating in her reproductive tract. There was also signs of gout but that is a result of one of the other issues. Her kidneys failed ultimately but we still don’t know if the kidney issues started with the GI stuff or what was going on. Basically, we still don’t know what happened we just know she had a lot of things that were found when she was studied but just not sure which came first.
The vet couldn’t tell us what may ha e caused the necrotizing GI infection. All of our other ducks are fine. No one else has shown any issues and they all live in the same environment. Does anyone have any experience with this?
The egg yolk thing is odd but she was the only duck still laying and laying a lot. All the others had stopped laying a few weeks before but she was still laying at least one a day which seemed weird but again, not something I thought was alarming. She was after all young.
I’m still really worried about our other ducks ending up with a similar issue. When I say we take good care of them I mean it. Clean pools every day. Clean drinking water several times a day. Their coop is mucked out every morning. Their pools are on rubber stall mats so they don’t make mud puddles every where. They have about 1,000 sq feet of steel wire covered run space shared with a few hens and it’s surrounded by electric fence. I bust my butt every day all year long to make sure they have a safe clean environment and whenever anyone seems off they go to the vet. I feel like I failed my sweet girl and I’m not even sure how so I can’t fix it to protect my others.
Thanks for listening. I’ll follow up with the report from Cornell when we get it. Maybe someone can learn from it or help me piece together what the heck may have happened. You’ve all got so much experience and I appreciate your willingness to share it!

We heard from the vet today with autopsy results. Once I have the full report I’ll post it. Maybe someone can help us sort out what happened. It seems like she had a lot going on and the vet doesn’t know what started the process. She had some type of necrotizing bacterial infection of her GI tract. She also had what was described as egg yolks free floating in her reproductive tract. There was also signs of gout but that is a result of one of the other issues. Her kidneys failed ultimately but we still don’t know if the kidney issues started with the GI stuff or what was going on. Basically, we still don’t know what happened we just know she had a lot of things that were found when she was studied but just not sure which came first.
The vet couldn’t tell us what may ha e caused the necrotizing GI infection. All of our other ducks are fine. No one else has shown any issues and they all live in the same environment. Does anyone have any experience with this?
The egg yolk thing is odd but she was the only duck still laying and laying a lot. All the others had stopped laying a few weeks before but she was still laying at least one a day which seemed weird but again, not something I thought was alarming. She was after all young.
I’m still really worried about our other ducks ending up with a similar issue. When I say we take good care of them I mean it. Clean pools every day. Clean drinking water several times a day. Their coop is mucked out every morning. Their pools are on rubber stall mats so they don’t make mud puddles every where. They have about 1,000 sq feet of steel wire covered run space shared with a few hens and it’s surrounded by electric fence. I bust my butt every day all year long to make sure they have a safe clean environment and whenever anyone seems off they go to the vet. I feel like I failed my sweet girl and I’m not even sure how so I can’t fix it to protect my others.
Thanks for listening. I’ll follow up with the report from Cornell when we get it. Maybe someone can learn from it or help me piece together what the heck may have happened. You’ve all got so much experience and I appreciate your willingness to share it!
What exactly do you feed them?

Since they live with the chickens they had access to Purina Layena with +Omega and Mazuri Water Fowl Maintenance. The ducks ate some of both I would think. They also got greens from the market once or twice a week. Kale, cabbage, dandelion greens and that kind of thing. They all got some grains in the cold weather. Henny Penny makes a scratch grain mix.
They got dried mealworms as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom