Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

Littlefeat, I dont know to be honest with you. I have 2 Red Stars, 2 Buff Orps and 1 Barred Rock that have the "bumblefoot black spots." None of these hens are showing signs of pain, limping, nor swelling on their pads nor anywhere on their feet. That's why I decided to try the tricide neo instead of needlessly cutting into their feet trying to remove something that's not there. However on my faverolles, there were some redness around the black spots which I believe were the beginnings of infection.

I'm going to try the Tricide Neo. We have a very well-supplied pet store here and they have a lot of things for outdoor ponds and fish. I'm going to check with them this weekend to see if they have it. If not, I'll order online. I figure it can't hurt! I don't think I would cut on her unless she started showing signs it was bothering her. Even then, I might take her to the vet instead.

NO not everything is bumblefoot to be sure. but the dark spot is symptomatic. i--and others besides me, btw--would advise NOT doing any cutting unless you see the bird is in true limp mode. you can end up with more problems than you started with. just 13 days ago i popped a nice plug of cheese from my kcampbell duck's foot, wrapped her up, caged her for 5 nights till she went about out of her head, gave her injections with penn g procaine..........result: no change she limps just as badly. swelling not gone down--but she is still mighty active for sure. i will try the trineo with her hopefully soon. but i wouldn't be surprised if she ends up totally lame OR the infection goes systemic and slowly kills her. in each case, i would have to end up putting her down. and this after surgery that popped the plug out, etc. etc...........please don't be upset, but its alot of work for a bird that cost 4- as a duckling. medical material expense alone would have bought maybe 10 babies............tough call. good luck

Thanks for the info JMC. I have no intentions of cutting on my hens unless they start limping. I'm sorry to hear about your duck, do you think there's more infection that's deeper in there? In any case, maybe the trineo will work. Unfortunately, I'm kinda impatient in these matters and would rather 'pull the plug' on my faverolle and get the surgery over with, but I'll wait and give the trineo a chance to do its job. Thanks again.

I had one girl that the Tricide Neo cleared up the bubblefoot in a week. So I know that was a mild case of surface infection only.

A second girl had small plugs that pulled away after a week or so. There was no deep infection. So caught whatever it was early.

A third one we are going to do but will not be able to really stay with the program for a few weeks. She has a large one on each foot. None of my girls were/are limping.

Good luck all

Last edited:
Tricide Neo update: I've been using trineo on one of my Salmon Faverolles for the past 6 days. In 3 days one of the black spots on her right foot pad fell off while I was cleaning it and it was all cleared up! I might add that I had been presoaking her feet in epsom salts prior to soaking in trineo. However her other foot still has a big black spot and is very very slowly clearing up, this is very time consuming. I've been using only trineo without soaking in epsom salts on my other hens feet with mixed results after 6 days of use....some black spots are clearing up and others seem to be clearing up more slowly, these hens were not limping to begin with. The other Salmon Faverolle that I performed regular bumblefoot surgery on 6 days ago is all healed up and back to normal. So my thoughts on trineo are that there's no doubt that it works, IF, you have time on your hands and can continue doing treatments up to 2 weeks or maybe longer (as I foresee in my case.) I just dont have the time to do this and I will opt to do foot surgery in the future. Foot surgery is less time consuming and heals quicker, not to mention the cost of trineo. I also used prep H while using trineo and I think it helped shrinking the black spots also.

My 1 year old roo has been limping for a few days now with a swollen foot but there's no black spot at all. I know it's infected because it's hot to the touch, but it's kind of the whole pad portion, and not at all on the top. I did slice out what I thought was a small black spot, but nothing else. Even with lancing in several of the most swollen places I was able to get no drainage other than blood.
I had some mupirocin hanging around so after thoroughly washing him up I gobbed that on him where I performed the "surgery" and wrapped him with vet wrap......but now I just don't know. Is it bumblefoot? Some other weird infection? I was thinking I'd try to tricide-neo, but in the absence of any external plugs.......would it even work? I've started giving him an antibiotic as well, but it's just the wide - spectrum so I may have to shell out for something stronger.
One little thing - his toes are all fine, but one is missing a nail and is crusted over. That area is not at all swollen, but could that be the point of infection???

Back
Top Bottom