Veterinarians stumped... chicken still sick.

Owlgirl7

Songster
5 Years
Jun 24, 2014
Ohio
Hello,

I have have 1 1/2 year old hen who last Saturday morning wouldn't leave her perch. The night before had been raw and windy, even though our coop was insulated well. The others seemed fine. I brought her inside to a hospital cage and did all I could for her. I'd been feeding her as best I could and giving her 0.5 cc of Tylan 50 a day.

On Tuesday, she still hadn't improved. I took her to the vet to get some help. Even the veterinarians were mystified. They did a blood count that came out with double the amount of white blood cells normal. Did body and skeletal scans... nothing. Lung... slight inflammation...1% chance pneumonia.

Few days later we got her back from the vet... blood cell count had lowered but infection was still raging. She had gained some of her lost weight back though. Precedent to gavage feed her twice a day, inject 90 ml of fluid above her air sacs offset to the spine, and one Baytril antibiotic pill every twelve hours. Today is Sunday and she still hasn't improved... sits with eyes closed by heater... won't eat or drink. Silent and non responsive.

Informed vet today... said that the idea that she's hanging on still means that she could be beating the infection. Was curious though if anyone though had any ideas of the cause of this infection or other ways of treatment that could aid in her improvement.

Thanks, and I'll keep you informed. :)

How long has it been since she ate anything and what are you feeding her? You need to consider tube feeding and the vet should have already suggested this. Dehydration could be part of the reason she is not improving. High white blood cell count...could it be some kind of cancer? Ty feeding her soft bread soaked in buttermilk, applesauce, scrambled eggs, yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom