VetRx Discussion

Do you think VetRx works?

• Total voters

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hi, all!

VetRx. Most of y'all have probably heard of it. The iodine-lookin' stuff in the brown bottle you get at TSC. Made of "3.3% Alcohol U.S.P., Canada Balsam, Camphor Oil Origanum, Oil Rosemary, blended in a corn oil base."

Screenshot 2021-06-08 19.06.36.png

Typing the word "VetRx" on BYC usually ends up in a thread being closed for excessive arguing.

If you use VetRx, please give your position on it. If you don't use VetRx, please give your position on it. If you have no clue what I am talking about, please go have a coffee on me while reading this thread. 💵

Personally, I think it might work in *very* mild cases of respiratory infection, etc. I get very annoyed whenever someone rolls up in a thread about egg yolk peritonitis and insists that VetRx will cure it when antibiotics are usually the only course of action other than euthanasia. VetRx is like the veterinary version of using essential oils for injuries; yes, lavender oil helps aches and pains. More power to it. Lavender oil will not help your second cousin's son Billy's broken leg.

I'd love to hear y'all's views on VetRx, just make sure to abide by the BYC Rules and keep it civil, respecting others' beliefs even if you think they're wrong. :)

I have never used it, but do think that it could have some healing properties in mild cases. I like to use essential oils for colds etc, and it totally works. Of course, this product is suggested to be used for a completely different reason than a mild cold, so the comparison isn't that great.
Point is, I trust essential oils to work for minor issues, it's not going to cure anything like magic, or anything very sever. I'm interested to see others opinions.

I think it works great for mild stress. I've used small amounts when my chicks got home and seemed stressed. I suppose it's good for combs and wattles before show, I've seen it reccomended in a lot of "How to Prepare Birds for Show" articles across different platforms. I can see how it might make combs, wattles, and legs look shinier while also using the scent to calm birds during show.

It's (Obviously) not going to cure anything serious. In humans, essential oils and herbs can lower stress and sometimes even do mild things like help with cough or help with sleep. Local honey can be used to help with allergies. But stuff like that isn't going to cure an actual disease. This is essentially the same thing with chickens. Thinking that VetRx is going to cure a dying chicken of any aliment is probably not the best mindset.

So I keep a bottle of it, it does work for mild respiratory problems.

For example I’ve given it to my geese when they’ve accidentally inhaled a little water down the wrong tube or if they’re congested, not as a treatment for whatever’s causing the congestion, but as an aid to open up their airways, much like people who drink tea when they have a cold.
Actual illnesses require actual medicine in my opinion. I do believe in herbal remedies, after all many medicines are created from compounds found in herbs and many are absolutely wonderful for boosting the immune system and working as a preventative, but certain issues require antibiotics or other medications, essential oils didn’t treat my goose with a suspected case of a bacterial spinal infection but Doxy and cipro did with the help of herbal remedies.

So I keep a bottle of it, it does work for mild respiratory problems.

For example I’ve given it to my geese when they’ve accidentally inhaled a little water down the wrong tube or if they’re congested, not as a treatment for whatever’s causing the congestion, but as an aid to open up their airways, much like people who drink tea when they have a cold.
Actual illnesses require actual medicine in my opinion. I do believe in herbal remedies, after all many medicines are created from compounds found in herbs and many are absolutely wonderful for boosting the immune system and working as a preventative, but certain issues require antibiotics or other medications, essential oils didn’t treat my goose with a suspected case of a bacterial spinal infection but Doxy and cipro did with the help of herbal remedies.
Very well said. :)

Back
Top Bottom