Vinyl flooring on new coop floor?

2trackin

Hatching
6 Years
May 7, 2013
I have some extra vinyl flooring laying around and I was thinking about using it on the coop floor to make it easier to clean. I read that putting something like this on the floor can actually trap moisture on the wood and make it rot sooner. Should I paint or stain the wood to protect it? Any suggestions? What about that Flex Seal stuff? It seems like that would work good, but I also want to make sure whatever I do it isn't toxic.

welcome-byc.gif

I would definitely do something to protect the wood floor before putting down vinyl flooring unless you are going to put it down as well as you would in a house application and it is sealed well around the edges. Another product you might want to look into is Blackjack57 and skip the vinyl floor. http://www.lowes.com/pd_70989-29-60...=?Ntt=Black+jack+rubr+coating+%2357&facetInfo=

Last edited:
My suggestion is to use a water sealer like Thompson water seal. Also I would suggest not to glue it Down as you should replace it at least once or twice a year. Vinyl can absorb Bactria after time and also will wear down due to their urine and wast. Plus if any waste gets under it by chance and can harbor Bactria or worse

i wouldn't use the vinyl at all. as it gets a thin layer of mud on it, it will become very slick and bad for large birds. i would simply paint the floor with latex paint let it dry and add some bedding. something else that is overlooked on keeping coops clean is covering the run. if the run gets muddy and the chickens get in the run, your floors are going to get dirty and rot quicker.

Back
Top Bottom