Violent Cockerel ?!

I've had this bird from a chick he's around 9 months old he has plenty of roaming space In the garden and plenty of hens (5) to keep him company . I'm not very tall (5'2)but I was carrying the eggs from the shed in to the house and he jumped up and started peck me on the feet at first it was cute then he became vicious and started ripping out parts of my hair and pecking my shoulder and fluffing up his feathers . I don't know what suddenly came over him because he was never like this before but is he just becoming "mature" and breeding or what ?
I have a rooster that's doing this but he's trying to fight with me. Jumping up, kicking me. So I had the idea to show him who's really the boss. ;) he did it one day, that was a bad idea, so I chased him around the pen and caught him. He knew he was in trouble because he screamed. Kinda funny seeing him scream like a baby when he acts all tough. Anyway back to subject. I caught him and held him tightly on the ground where he couldn't move for a couple of seconds. I've been doing this and it seems to be helping very well. I would try it and see what happens.

I've had this bird from a chick he's around 9 months old he has plenty of roaming space In the garden and plenty of hens (5) to keep him company . I'm not very tall (5'2)but I was carrying the eggs from the shed in to the house and he jumped up and started peck me on the feet at first it was cute then he became vicious and started ripping out parts of my hair and pecking my shoulder and fluffing up his feathers . I don't know what suddenly came over him because he was never like this before but is he just becoming "mature" and breeding or what ?I
I just recently re-homed my Rooster which I raised from a chick and was wonderful until at 8 months he decided that his spurs worked and he could use them to protect his flock. I tried so many things I learned from my grandmother, most of which the other members have told you about. It would work for a short time but then he reverted back to bad behavior. He had really long spurs which I took off. It still didn't help. He is now on a ranch that has over 200 chickens and roosters. He is one out of many and they say he is doing fine but then they don't have direct contact as you do. Believe me when I say he will not forget the scoldings and tactics you would use to change him. You won't be able to feel trust around him always wondering if he will attack you. Not worth it. There are many roosters out there. Get another one and see if the feed store in your area has a person with a lot of chickens and can handle a feisty male.

Back
Top Bottom