Vitamins for chickens?

Daniel1974

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Summerville SC
Im wondering if anyone can give me any info on vitamins for my BYC? Im gonna run to TSC tomorrow and need the best vitamins for my Baby's. And i know you all know whats best for my birds so please help me out :)

A good balanced diet, with a mill date within one month, is all you need. Adding stuff to water can lead to poor drinking, not a good thing, and unnecessary.
Making a balanced ration at home is difficult and expensive, and again, unnecessary, if there's good stuff at your local feed stores.
Mary

As someone already said if your feeding a good compleat feed then there is no real reason to suplament.

Now if your mixing your feed then your going to need a vitamin/mineral pre-mix.

I do this, too. The vitamins mentioned are in the pediatric vitamin section in the supermarket or drugstore. Some folk put up to 1 tsp (5 mL) per quart, but I supplement my flock's feed with plenty of greens and table scraps, so I only put in 1 tsp per gallon, every other time I fill up the 1 gallon waterer. My flock is fully grown.

(Listen to the chemist up there) I do that also, my waterer is 3 gallons, so I just suck up the supplement to the *1* line, and squirt it in. It works well, I actually think it saved my JG from Marek's,(he couldn't stand up) I fed him his baby food and used a dropper with the Poly-vi-sol in it, and one miracle day he started walking.

I do this, too. The vitamins mentioned are in the pediatric vitamin section in the supermarket or drugstore. Some folk put up to 1 tsp (5 mL) per quart, but I supplement my flock's feed with plenty of greens and table scraps, so I only put in 1 tsp per gallon, every other time I fill up the 1 gallon waterer. My flock is fully grown.

Last edited:
If you're feeding a good brand of chick starter you don't need any vitamins fed through their water. If you're really concerned then a little finely chopped fresh green feed once a day that they can clean up in ten minutes or so will suffice. But water soluble vitamins are not necessary if your chick starter is fresh.

Back
Top Bottom